Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:34 PM   #1

I recently purchased a new XD card while on vacation and took several pictures on it. Upon returning home, I am now unable to download the pictures to my computer. I have tried connecting the camera directly to the computer, and have also tried using a card reader. Whenconnecting, I am getting the format disk message. I have read several previous posts which recommended downing and running Photo rec. I have done this and unfortunately the program was unable to find any files to recover. The only way that I can presently view these pictures is through the camera. Are there any other options to save these pictures off?

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Jules981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:34 AM   #2
Administrator

If a camera can see them, the recovery utilities should be able to see them.

Are you sure your card reader is working properly (does it work with other cards OK)?

Try disabling your virus protection and firewall product temporarily. Sometimes, they can interfere with transfers. Ditto for other USB devices (I'd unplug any printers or other devices when trying).

Does the card show up in the list OK using Photorec (it should be there along with any other hard drives it sees in your system, so just make sure to select the right one). If not, unplug it and plug it back in again and see if it shows up.

Did you also try this free utility? It does a pretty good job most of the time, too.

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?Language=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:31 AM   #3

Onew thing I found a while back (Spring 2007)was that the card reader I was using would not read any xD cards above 512MB. So I went out and upgraded to a new card reader (standard 15-in-1 sold at Sams Club). As for now being able to upload from the camera I would do what Jim suggested and unplug all other USB devices and try upload direct from the camera. Make sure the batteries are charged or you use an AC adaptor so the upload doesn't quit in the middle.

Another thing that may or maynot help is to do a series for firmware updates for your camera and load them if they are located and see if that helps

WHATEVER YOU DO -- Do NOT erase or reformat the card till you've try all the possibiliotes. I had a friend last week that got a card with a an error and wahted to do data recovery and he reformatted the card hoping that would help

Good luck

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:33 AM   #4

What I found worked for me was to load the card via USB card reader and used a program called photorecovery I got off the internet (costs some money but it works the 5 times I have had to use it 4 times for deleting images I wanted to save before they were saved). When the card shows up under my computer launch the program and run the program and go have a long dinner as it will take a while to extract everything. Then save the ones you need.

Never used the program Jim C speaks of and I know the one I am using works for me on xD cards and CF cards.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:19 PM   #5

Thanks so much for all of your help. I was just able to pull my pictures off of the new card. My problem seemed to be that I was using a card reader that was too old to read my new, larger card. I also unplugged all other things from my usb hubs before connecting. Again, thanks for the great advice!
Jules981 is offline   Reply With Quote