Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:24 AM   #1

want (need) a large capacity SD card for my pentax k100d super. Seen 4-8 GB versions. Should they work ok? anything i should or shouldn't get, or anything to "watch out" for?

thanks
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:09 AM   #2

The Pentax K100D Super supports SDHC (the SDHC logo is on the front of the operationg manual) so you should be able to use any SD or SDHC card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:51 AM   #3

ok, thanks

just picked up 2 2Gb memorex sd cards, they were quite cheap and i thought, on reflection, it might be better to put my images (when traveling to africa) on a few different cards rather then just on one, so that i do not risk loosing all if anything goes wrong.

is memorex as a good a make as anything else?
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4

Good idea.

But the cost per gigabyte goes down as the capacity goes up, until you reach 16GB or so. Then it starts to go up fast.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:37 PM   #5

I like the idea of multi cards (always carry at least 3 myself). If one developes an error I would change cards immediately. However in the past 2 years that has not happened.

If I was traveling to Africa I would also carry a memory storage device to backup the data in case you loose a card and as a backup to the cards if you think something is going to go wrong. Also you might be surprised how many images you end up taking and may run out of memory card space. My rule of thumb is to carry at least 8GB of memory with me at all times and if I am going away for more than 36hrs with out access to my computer I take my 60GB storage device just in case I need more space. You never know what might happen. I was in Baltimore last summer and caught a boating accident in progress (hazmat, homeland security,fire, fireboat.....)and ended up take 200 pictures in short order that I didn't plan on. You may witness something like that or maybe in Africa something to do withanimals that will blow your mind and you just start snapping pictures left andright.....also think ahead and realize if you don't have acess to a computer you limited to the total of your cards. You didn't say if you were gonna take a laptop with so I'm not sure if that is an issue but something to think about.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote