Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1

Just bought a fuji s9600 and was wondering what sort of memory i should buy for it?
It takes xd cards and cf, what should i look at when buying the memory and are there any good places to get memory?
Thanks

matt2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:04 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd probably go CompactFlash with it. You'll get more "bang for the buck" with CompactFlash media.

My favorite vendor for memory is http://www.newegg.com

Your camera is unlikely to gain anything by going with the newest and fastest cards (because the camera's write speed to media would become the bottleneck, versus the speed of the card itself).

So, I'd probably stick to a 133x (or even slower cards) for a better price/performance ratio (for example, Sandisk Extreme III, Lexar 133x, Transcend 133x, etc.) versus the newest cards around.

One of our members is using a Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash card in your camera model (Fuji S9100, which is the same as your S9600) See the posts from Photo S in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=845875

If memory serves, he did have to format it at FAT32 using his PC before it recognized all 16GB though. So, you may want to stick with 8GB or smaller cards with your model.

You can get a lot of jpeg images on a smaller card. So, you may even find that a 4GB is plenty for most purposes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:45 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for that, it was really hepful!
Much appreciated

matt2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:19 AM   #4
Administrator

Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive card that would probably work fine in your camera. The 133x Transcend models also come with a lifetime warranty (see the photos of the packaging it comes in there):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208339

I've got one of these Transcend 133x CF cards in a larger 16GB size that I've used in several different camera models like my Sony A700 since October of last year with zero problems at all, taking thousands of photos using it, and filling the card up multiple times. I just make sure to format the card prior to every reuse using the camera's menu choice for format, to minimize any chance of File System Corruption (that way, you always start out with a fresh FAT, just the way the camera expects it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote