Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:58 AM   #1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANDISK-EXTR...374&sr=1-7

Everyone is making a big "hoo har" about the new 16gb memory card by sandisc, yet it is only ExtreemIII, not IV. Am I being harsh by asking this but if it is not IV is it really that good?

I will be using it with a 40D also I was surprised to see thatLexar have not brought 1 out
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Administrator

The Extreme III is a 133x Card (up to approx. 20MB/Second). The Extreme IV is a 266x Card (up to approx. 40MB/Second). The Ducati is a 300x Card (up to approx. 45MB/Second).

But, your camera's write speed to memory cards will be the primary bottleneck with the fastest cards. The Extreme IV and Ducati cards require a camera or card reader that supports UDMA transfers to reach their maximum potential (and the Canon 40D does not support UDMA). Only a handful of cameras can take advantage of UDMA cards yet. AFAIK, the EOS-1Ds Mark III is the only UDMA capable camera right now within the Canon lineup.

So, you'll usually see diminishing returns as you go with anything faster than 133x (for example, you may use a card that's rated twice as fast and may only see a 10% or so improvement in throughput). If you look at Rob Galbraith's speed tests in a 40D (see link below), even a Ducati only tested with write speeds of around 11MB/Second (though this card is *much* faster in a UDMA compliant reader), with some of the Extreme III cards testing almost as fast (most of the newer 133x and faster cards tend to test between around 9.5 and 11MB/Second in this camera).

The size of a card can sometimes make a difference, too (because 2GB and smaller cards use FAT16 and cards larger than 2GB use FAT32). Usually, FAT16 is faster with most cameras, given the same card type. Sometimes you'll see speed differences within the same brand/model of a card, too (because manufacturers sometimes improve the components in later production runs).

Also, keep in mind that the speed of the camera will be the same, regardless of memory card used, until the camera's buffer (fast internal memory) becomes full. Then, the camera will slow down some (cycle times between photos), and you'll have slower buffer flush times with a slower card. Your 40D has a relatively large internal buffer.

Rob Galbraith has some tests of newer cards in a 40D here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9257

Here's another test you may find interesting, where one of the Extreme IV cards tested was quite a bit faster when shooting raw + jpeg in a 40D (clocking at over 16MB/Second). That's faster than you normally see one test though. Note that the Sony A700 (which supports UDMA) was able to write at around 40MB/Second (more than twice as fast) to some of the same cards. The Olympus E-3 (which also supports UDMA) was also very fast with some cards.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx

Note that even though Sandisk doesn't make it's fastest cards (Extreme IV, Ducati) in 16GB size yet, I am seeing some faster 300x cards from other manufacturers ship now (again, only a UDMA compliant camera or reader is going to get close to 300x speed with one). For example, Transcend has a new 16GB 300x SLC UDMA card shipping now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208419

In one test I saw, a Transcend 300x SLC card clocked at around 35MB/Second write speeds and 45MB/Second read speeds in a Lexar Firewire 800 UDMA Card reader, outperforming Lexar's 300x UDMA card in the same reader. See the second part of the first set of results showing the Lexar and Transcend 300x cards in more than one UDMA capable Firewire reader:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/WSW...m#flashreaders

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:32 PM   #3

Mr Shift wrote:
Quote:
Everyone is making a big "hoo har" about the new 16gb memory card by sandisc, yet it is only ExtreemIII, not IV. Am I being harsh by asking this but if it is not IV is it really that good?
It's not the biggest card ever, nor is it the fastest card ever, but the big deal is that it's the biggest card that fast, and the fastest card that big.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:35 PM   #4
Administrator

See my previous post. Other manufacturers have cards that are much faster than the 16GB Extreme III (a 133x card) now in 16GB size. For example, Transcend's new 300x SLC card is available in 16GB size now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:44 PM   #5

Sorry.

The big deal is that it's the biggest SanDisk card that fast, and the fastest SanDisk card that big.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:10 PM   #6
q95

Note, the 2008 SanDisk Extreme III Compact Flash cards have faster speeds (30 Mb/s) than the original ones (20 Mb/s). And, Rob Galbraith has tested with them and posted results.

I just ordered a 16 GB SanDisk Extreme III Compact Flash from Adorama for $69.95 (after $90 rebate), not including a reasonale shippig charge. They list both the 20 Mb/s and 30 Mb/s cards for the same price, so make sure you order the faster onefor the same price. Note, they have the same 20 Mb/s and 30 Mb/s cards in the 8 GB capacity too, so again, make sure you look at the specs when you order. And, the rebate lasts for another month (maybe more).
q95 is offline   Reply With Quote