Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:41 PM   #1

Default Microdrive/CF Cards

Hi Everyone!

I'm about to upgrade my memory for the Fujifilm S602Z and also my MP3 player. Both will take the type 1 and 2 CF cards.
I was wanting to get a 1Gig MD but don't know who it'll handle the bumps and knocks of also seeing use in the MP3 player.

Has anyone had trouble with reliablilty in higher stress situations with the MD?

Or would I be better to go with the CF card (min 30X)...?

Cheers,

Jinx
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:43 PM   #2
djb

i have the transcend 45x 1 gig cf1 card and like it. no worries about roughing it and it does everything i want tit to do, even, vga video til the end of the memory. as for microdrives, i know nothing.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:09 PM   #3

just hard to beat the microdrive for value for money.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:12 PM   #4

The microdrives are likely to keep working after you have detroyed the camera or MP3 player it is in. The real problem is the same for the microdrive and solid state memory - handling. Squeezing the microdrive in the wrong way can destroy it, the pins in either can be bent/broken.

In short, the likely problem with your proposed use is swapping it between the camera and MP3 player, not while it is use in the MP3 player.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:08 PM   #5

MD-and you'll love it more if/when it fails and you now have a expensive table leveling wedge. the warranty is relatively short compaired to a quality solid state CF card. inital cost is now higher on a sscf card but when it does fail you can send it back in the case of most good manufacturers and it will be replaced. i have had 2 occasions with one manufacturer where i had issues with their 512MB card on the second try i was allowed to upgrade to their 640MB card for the price difference. since then no issues. i prefer Lexar or Delkin.

when you average IBM HD (now Hitachi) carried a 3 yearr warranty. they only warrantied the MD for 1 year. when hitachi officially introduces the 2 and 4 GB drives very soon lets see the warranty the give them. that will be the level of confidence they have in the product.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:42 AM   #6

True - the microdrive will break down, as will everything else that is a real physical object. It is also true that the MD is more likely to break down than solid state memory. The interesting question, "Is the microdrive enough cheaper to be worth the additional risk?", can only be answered by each individual. A pro who with a lot of money involved in a shoot or is covering a one time event (wedding, ...) is likely to have a different answer than I would.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:52 AM   #7

also realize that Hitachi (now the owner/builder of the MD) is coming out with both 2 and 4GB MDs. these are hyped to be faster then the current batch and the 4GB is supposed to go at $499US MSRP. this the lowers the potential selling price if a 1GB even further. but again realiability and potential warranty still haunt me.

pro's with a lot of money tend to be stingy and careful in order to be pro's with a lot of money.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:00 AM   #8
NHL

I use flash and microdrives interchangeably. My three MDs are still spinning after 3 years... and could go on for a few more. You just can't help that some folks have prejudice againts moving parts and I can understand why... but the confidence grew as one use the MD, warranty or not.
Cost is the main reason people opt for microdrives... heck if that's not true we should be all be using flash in our PCs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hitachi may not be the only game in town anymore :
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03...1inch4_8gb.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:22 AM   #9

and thats the one major reason. cost. in smaller sizes flash has an acceptable cost/risk ratio. even in failure your chances of image retrievability on a CF is considerably greater the MD. the MD is a great exercise in miniturization and cost/MB benefit. but the failure rate in mission critical apps is still too high. i hope that the next batch is higher reliability product then it will become a major player. for now its still a interesting device. put a 3-5 yr warranty with a guarranty of data recovery, if possible, like lexar does on their pro sscf cards and then i'll give them my money. show the same confidence the competition has.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
... but the failure rate in mission critical apps is still too high.
Agree - there is an increased risk with a microdrive, a small increase IMHO, but still an increase. If the cost of failure is very high, that increased risk should be avoided.

I ain't using my camera for any such use - I won't be happy if/when it fails, but the City of New York won't be destroyed if/when there is a failure. There won't even be a very unhappy bride. I will accept a slight increase in risk for a substantial decrease in cost. It is a subjective trade-off, and everyone has to weigh the cost/risk balance for themselves.

To really avoid risk, you have to carry two (at least) camera and shoot everything with both of them. Memory isn't the only thing that can fail.