Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:30 PM   #1

help help help. im new to this forum. but i have a mini SD card for my phone, only 128mb and i have a lot of reallllyyyyy important pics and stuff on it and i put it in my phone... doesnt work... but then i put it in my computer (printer) and it comes up as MEMORY CARD ERROR. i no i have to format it but is there ANY WAY i can get the pics off?? i have a mac. what can i do?
itsGino08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:29 PM   #2

I've used two first rate Macintosh utilities, one exclusively for recovering lost files, and the other is a general purpose volume utility but also does a fine job of recovering deleted files.
[/*]
Neither is free. Data Rescue II is probably the best of it's kind on any platform. DiskWarrior is the best general purpose disk and volume utility available for the Macintosh and is capable of more than just recovering deleted files, so it might not be a bad idea for you to have it anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I've used two first rate Macintosh utilities, one exclusively for recovering lost files, and the other is a general purpose volume utility but also does a fine job of recovering deleted files.
Neither is free. Data Rescue II is probably the best of it's kind on any platform. DiskWarrior is the best general purpose disk and volume utility available for the Macintosh and is capable of more than just recovering deleted files, so it might not be a bad idea for you to have it anyway.
I'd agree with TCav we have both of these programs on our lone Mac a G4at work.

On one of our desktop PCs at workand on my laptopI have acess to both mmCard Recovery and Photorecovery (both are a little slow but work very well)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:44 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd try Photorec. It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. You'll see links on the download page for multiple operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.).

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Select your memory card or flash drive from the list of media it finds, and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them, or try to use any utility that writes to the card).

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Click on the below link to download testdisk and photorec for MAC OS X (both programs are in the same download file):

Mac OS X, tar.bz2

Use photorec to recover images.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote