Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:14 PM   #1

Hi

I have a transcend 2bg sd card that i have just brought i am trying to put files onto it but it says it is write protected. It is not the switch it does the same in both positions. Also i have tried to different card readers so i can rule out that.

Can anyone help me please.

GINNER
GINNER123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:18 PM   #2
Administrator

What do you mean by "trying to put files on it"? Do you mean copying files from your computer to the card in a reader using something like Windows Explorer? Is that what says it's write protected?

Note that many card readers do not work with Secure Digital Cards over 1GB in size. Are you sure the card readers you've tried will work with a 2GB card?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:20 PM   #3

yeh copying files from my computer, you maybe right about the card readers i am not sure. is there any other way of transfer files to this card
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Well... if you've got a camera the card works with, you might be able to use it as a reader (depending on the camera and if it's USB mass storage compliant).

I'd probably take it to a store and see if it works in a newer laptop on display. Many have built in readers now. That way, you'll know if it's the card or the readers you've tried.

If you get a new card reader, I'd get a newer one that's SDHC compliant. That way, you can use larger cards (i.e., 4GB and up). Many of the older SD readers won't even work with cards over 1GB.

For why this can be a problem, see this article about Secure Digital (the section on Compatibility issues with 2GB and larger cards):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_larger_cards

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:31 PM   #5

thank you very much for the help