Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:45 AM   #1

Hi.Does anybody know if there is a DVD recorder with a SDHC card slot that will convert MP4 to DVD rather than having to plug the camera into a pc and convert.

Thanks
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:53 AM   #2

Unlikely.

Some DVD recorders have USB ports, but the purpose for those ports has yet to be defined.

And the operating systems for DVD recorders isn't very comprehensive. A PC has a keyboard and a mouse, while a DVD Recorder only has the buttons on the remote. Even if it were possible, I doubt very many people would want to do it that way if they had a computer to use instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:56 AM   #3

Some DVD recorders have an i-link/1394/firewire connector in the front, that allows you to connect a digital video camera directly, and record from it. I have one, and it works nicely.

I'm guessing that a digital videocam that uses SDHC cards could connect the the same way, so you may not need the card reader if you have that setup.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:20 AM   #4

I used to burn my Sanyo CA-65 mp4 movie through Philip direct dvd burner, my new HD 1010 on the way not sure can burnor not.
cstyxkurtcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:34 AM   #5

But these methods require that the movie be played on the connected device and the DVD recorder simply records the video input stream. I don't think there's a way for a DVD recorderto record the data on an SDHC card wthout playing the video at regular speed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:26 AM   #6

There is a Sony DVD burner that has RCA inputs as well as S video inputs. It can record directly from a camcorder or other line in source RCA or S-Video. It can record to CDs or DVDs. On the DVD side of things you can set it to record Mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 (2hrs, 4hrs or 6 hrs worth to a DVD). I don't know the model number. I own one (but loaned it to a friend) when I got my first laptop in 2006 that didn't have a DVD birner and used it for that reason. Oh and it has a USB port as well to use as an external drive/burner.

I did use it once to record a wedding by hooking the outputs of the a VHS style camcorder to the inputs of the Sony burner. I did test it early and was glad I did. I learned you have to have media in the camcorder and have it set in the record mode in order for it to work properly. I did learn that without it recording in the camcorder (at least with the set up and model I was using) that I was not getting any signal into the DVD burner device. I also learned it worked on playback mode but if you trying to record live you have to be in record mode.

Also it records in real time. You can also use it to record audio streams from LPs, cassettes etc to CDs.

Hope this helps

David Stemple

[email protected]

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote