Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1

Sweet! Lexar is releasing a 16GB 300x UDMA card shortly. I just have a 4gb but have been waiting for a 16GB UDMA card to be released. It seems a company called Delkin has released one but I don't know much about that company. Can't wait until Lexar releases this!
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Transcend's had a 16GB 300x UDMA card out for a while now using dual channel SLC memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208419

From some of the tests I've seen, this Transcend 16GB 300x UDMA card is faster than any other UDMA card right now (and that means it outperforms the existing Lexar 300x 8GB UDMA, too).

Scroll down under the chart on this page and you'll see a Card Speed section that shows read/write speeds for it (it's the first one in the list):

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/cs_udmacf.html#tests

I've been using one of the 133x Transcend 16GB cards since October of last year with no problems. They didn't have the faster 300x cards out yet in 16GB size when I bought my slower 133x.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:51 AM   #3

Jim C talked me into a transcend 133x Compact Flash card eariler this year when I needed a large card to do a family wedding. I love the card and it is SWEET!!!! It is plenty flast in the camera and the upload speed through my memory card reader is great.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:41 AM   #4
Administrator

Or, if you want even larger....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...ml#pretek_cf64

Pretec Releases 64GB and 100GB CF Card - Highest Capacity in the World

Cologne, Germany, September 23rd, 2008 - Pretec, creator of the highest capacity CompactFlash card in the world (48GB) and the fastest CF card in the world (333X) will demonstrate even higher capacities including a 64GB CF card, in the Leaf booth (West Hall 4.2, B009) and CFA (Hall 5.1, G-019) at Photokina 2008.

Continuing the revolution in the field of flash memory card speed and capacity, Pretec today releases 64GB and 100GB, 233X CF cards with access speed of up to 35MB/s, overtaking the Pretec 48GB CF card, the previous world's record holder for highest capacity CF card; and super high speed 333X 32GB and 50GB CF cards capable of running up to 50 MB per second of Read/Write speed, the highest speed CF card in the world.

Pretec 233X and 333X CF cards will be demonstrated together with high performance digital cameras from Leaf, a business unit of Eastman Kodak and a world-renowned industry leader in providing cutting edge digital photography solutions, whose AFi professional camera was recently awarded "Product of the Year" at the Photoforum exhibition in Russia.

Pretec 233X 64GB and 333X 32GB CF cards with suggested retail price of $399 and $630 are slated to start delivery by Photokina 2008, and 233X 100GB and 333X 50GB are expected to start shipping by the end of 2008.

Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5

wow, those are some huge CF cards. I think I will wait for price to drop on those though! In the meantime I think I will pick up on of the transcend 16gb cards. The numbers look great and price seems fair.

Can you imagine...100GB CF card in your camera!? You would never have to worry about space, just your battery!! I wonder how reliable they will be??
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:12 PM   #6

also, do you think there would be any benefit to spending twice as much on brands such as pretec? The transcend seems to have great test results from the link above which I think I will end up getting, but I can't see the pretec card being that much better??? I'm thinking it's just one of those things where you are paying for the name.

What do you all think?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:27 PM   #7
Administrator

I've never owned or used a Pretec brand CompactFlash card and have no experience with them.

I think you'll find that most digital camera users have other card brands (with Sandisk and Lexar being the preferred choices with many users).

You see card failures from time to time with any brand though. But, the most common problem is probably FAT (File Allocation Table) corruption. To minimize any chance of having a problem, I always reformat a card prior to every reuse with a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC). That way, I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

BTW, that Transcend card has a lifetime warranty if you didn't notice. If you click on the "Image Viewer" and look at the separate images for it at newegg.com, you'll see it shown on the packaging in the second photo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208419

Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8

thanks JimC, I always reformat using the camera as well. I didn't notice the lifetime warranty either so thank you for pointing that out!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:04 AM   #9

I always erase the card in my computer and reformat in my camera after every download).

WOW 100GB CF cards.... lets see..... thats about a years worth of photos.... well after I weed out the duplicates and the out of focus and the mistakes.......

How technology has changed. My first digital camera had a 64 picture internal memory and then I had a camera that would only use 32MB or smaller smart media cards. How things have changed. I think I spent more on SM cards than this CF card is gonna sell for........ I remember when my first 32MB card was $104, my transcend 16GB card was just under $100. All in the span of 8 years.

What will they come up with next.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote