Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 12, 2003, 5:53 PM   #1

Default Quick question about CF card

Hi,
Newbie here. Just got a Canon A70 camera that came with 16 MB CF card. I would like to upgrade the CF with at least 128 MB. How does non-OEM brands like Sandisk and Lexar compare to canon brand ones? Sorry if this question has been answered before. TIA.
▀illcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:49 PM   #2

I have Lexar and Viking CF cards, but my preference is for the Lexar because it seems just a tad faster. You can use any brand, but I suggest reading up on them, looking for reliability and speed. Darned if I can remember where I saw just such a review. Maybe someone else here knows where to find it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 3:03 PM   #3

Bill Collector, I know ther is a site called robgalbraith.com that will let you know about what CF cards are good for pro cameras. I am not sure where to find info on the A-70. I always call www.mydigitaldiscount.com when i need memory. They are pretty informative and have good prices to boot. I recently purchased a 128mb DAne- elec card
Skewter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:57 PM   #4

Just got 256 mb Fuji film card for $44. Have been pretty happy so far. I can't believe I can take 159 pictures on high-res mode!!!

I highly recommend the CF upgrade for those considering it.
▀illcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:53 AM   #5

Here is that link about CF. It is for high end cards, but it also has information about CF in general. It's a good read, and it really drives home the fact that the camera has as much to do with a card being fast as the card its self.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

The odds are that the "Canon" CF cards are really a rebranded version of someone elses CF card.

Both Sandisk and Lexar make very good cards. Personally, I would consider them better than the Canon one, until the time we figure out who really makes the Canon cards.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 9:09 AM   #6

Hello billcollector__

Imho...you cannot go wrong with Sandisk.

Sandisk 512 UltraFlash II is available at newegg.com for
only $139 w/free fed Ex Free Saver shipping (seven to eight
days to arrive).

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 9:18 AM   #7

That is a good price for a fast card. It's much faster than that camera will use, but I bet it has a lifetime guarrenty which is a nice thing.

Others here have not been pleased with SanDisk's support. They don't give out good contact info on their web site. Lexar is very good about handling support (this is not from personal experience, but from someone else here on this site recounting their experiences.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:42 PM   #8

Interesting thread, I just got my first digicam, a Canon Powershot Pro90 and am still learning to use it. I never thought about the speed of the CF card. I just picked up a used Lexar 1GB CF card on E-Bay for $152.50 I just read that it's speed is 4X, the speed on my 128mb Viking is 12X. I guess I'll soon see if the speed makes much diffrence in my new Canon. JDBraddy
Boxlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:20 AM   #9

Well a new Transcend 256Mb Ultra 45X card wouldn't fill up in continous movie on the A70 I tried last week! This card and another cheaper 12X card re-formatted to 8K cluster size worked fine. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 6:13 PM   #10

Default Re: Quick question about CF card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ▀illcollector
Hi,
Newbie here. Just got a Canon A70 camera that came with 16 MB CF card. I would like to upgrade the CF with at least 128 MB. How does non-OEM brands like Sandisk and Lexar compare to canon brand ones? Sorry if this question has been answered before. TIA.
Hi, I am using a scndisk 256Mb card. I have used atleast 4 times to full memory with my A60. Seems to be good one.
rexarro is offline   Reply With Quote