Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

View Poll Results: Which CF Extreme III is faster?
ScanDisk CF 2GB Extreme III 0 0%
ScanDisk CF 4GB Extreme III 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:32 AM   #11
Administrator

You'd have to try them. In one test I saw, a 133x Lexar 2GB Card was faster on some tests compared to an 8GB Extreme IV card in this model. But, that may have just been a "fluke" (or the algorithms used by the E-510 are slower for FAT32 formatted media).

The camera is probably not going to write at more than around 15MB/Second to a card, regardless of how fast the card is rated. To do much better, you'll need a camera model that supports UDMA cards (and the E-3 is the only model in the Olympus lineup that supports UDMA right now).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:25 PM   #12

for most non-profi-DSLRs CF-interface is a lot slower then CF-cards, so you can use the cheapest und slowest memory cards.

perhaps you think you have to shot 5 pictures/second for duration of 1 hour ... then buy the most expensive CF cards... or better: BUY A CAMCORDER !!!! WOW! 30 pictures/sec, even for 59.9999 minutes (or more)!

I am using all kinds of SD/SDHC/microSD/microSDHC in all my cameras,with DSLRs too (Canon, Sigma, Olympus). I never had problems with them.

Look there ---> http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:09 PM   #13

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
for most non-profi-DSLRs CF-interface is a lot slower then CF-cards, so you can use the cheapest und slowest memory cards.
Not in my experience. See my Retraction: PNY is not my fastest CF Card.

A SanDisk Extreme III is the fastest card I own, followed bya Lexar Platinum II 80x, then a Kingston Ultimate 133x. (Note that an 80x card is faster than a 133x card.)

I also just got two UDMA cards, even though my KM5D doesn't support UDMA. A Kingston Ultimate 266x and a PNY Optima Pro UDMA 266x are faster than the SanDisk Extreme III (previously the fastest), for JPEG files, but as slow as the slowest for RAW files. So there's something to be said for getting UDMA cards even if your camera doesn't support it (specifically).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:19 PM   #14

So any advantage of me using my new Extreme III 30MB/s 4GB card in my Olympus E-510?

It's got to be faster than my Ultra II 4GB card.

If not, I figure at least it would make for fast downloads to the notebook in the field.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:00 AM   #15

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
So any advantage of me using my new Extreme III 30MB/s 4GB card in my Olympus E-510?

It's got to be faster than my Ultra II 4GB card.

If not, I figure at least it would make for fast downloads to the notebook in the field.
Absolutely!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote