Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:04 AM   #1

i downloaded a low level format software to format my sd card because i couldnt format it the normal way but it keeps telling me my drive is right protected. I need help on formatting my sd card. Any 1 knows how? pls help
fast2dbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Some cards have a write protect switch (tiny switch on the side of the card). So, make sure it's in the unlocked position.

What low level format utility? Did the card work before you used that software?

What size card is it? Many Secure Digital card readers have problems with SD cards over 1GB in size. So, make sure you're using a card reader that's compatible. See this page on compatibility issues with 2GB and larger cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_larger_cards

Note that a card reader must specifically support SDHC if you have an SDHC card (most SD readers will not work with SDHC).

If you're sure your card reader is compatible, I'd try this (Panasonic SD Formatter Software). It can properly format SD and SDHC cards. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Test it to see if it works in the camera after formatting it. If so, format it again using the camera's menu choice for format and see if it still works. If so, it's probably OK.

If it won't work, I'd get a different card. It's probably either defective or incompatible if it doesn't work after formatting it that way.

You could also try formatting it using Windows (select FAT32 from the drop down list for a 4GB or larger card, and select FAT16 for a 2GB or smaller card).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanx
i unlocked the write protect switch but it ddnt wrk. Plus i used the panasonic sd format software and it still alerted me that it was write protected.

its a 2GB sd card and it was working before i tried the utility on it.

maybe i shd get a new one but it u hav any other solution, let me know.
fast2dbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Administrator

Again, many Secure Digital readers are not compatible with cards larger than 1GB. So, you may want to try it in a different card reader (one that you're sure works with larger cards). In a new reader, get one that's SDHC compatible (most are not). That way, you can use 4GB and larger cards in it, too.

What device are you using the card in? Have you tried formatted using it's menu choice for format (cameras will have a menu option somewhere to format a card)?

If all else fails, get another one (it could be defective).

You can get a 4GB card including a reader for under $20 delivered now (and the larger ones aren't much more). Here's one example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208375

If you get a larger card, make sure the device you use it in is SDHC compatible.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote