Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 29, 2002, 9:46 PM   #1

Default Best CF card for my Canon S330?

I just bought a Canon S330 Elph and need to upgrade to a 128 or 256 mb compactflash card. If there is really any difference in performance, I would like to buy the fastest card available. Any suggestions?
rileylouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:26 PM   #2

riley,
Unless you are shooting TIFF or audio/video clips (if cam does it) speed of memory ard really is not a factor. Cameras have built in buffers and many other things going on between shots besides storing data. The 128 meg seems to be about 33% less per meg than the 256. 128 will hold lots of big pics. might check crucial.com on the 128, $99.xx w/free 2nd day fedex and lifetime warrenty.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:25 AM   #3

It actually does have a video mode, which can eat up memory in a hurry. That is why I am entertaining the 256 mb card also. It seems that the prices have come down so much that it is not too painful to load up. It might even be wise to just buy two 128 mb cards for about the same money I suppose. So the "crucial" brand would serve me just as good as say, Viking, or Ridata who claim faster speeds?
rileylouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 6:31 AM   #4

The price of the 256MB cards has come down, but it's up to you whether two 128 cards are better than one 256.

I've got a Ridata 20X 256MB and am happy with it. Twice as fast as my other memory cards, which are Sony Memory Sticks.

I DO shoot a lot in TIFF format, so I notice the difference.

Crucial would be a fine choice, too.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 7:09 AM   #5

A couple of things you will probally find out real fast, video clips are real small quicktime clips. 128 meg would tend to be pretty long. Only a very small percent of digicam owners use TIFF or Video mode. The video mode is kind of like an airbag, there if you need it, but you may not like the results. More fun to make slide show and put sound track to it. Crucial is part of Micron, lifetime warrenty. Faster cards come into play more so in other devices than digacams. Flash rebound, AF and AUTO all take time. If your flash has a 6 second rebound.......
Good luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:35 PM   #6
NHL

Just my 2c... Bigger cards help if one plans to upgrade to a higher pixels camera (ie I thought 128Mb was plentiful on my 990, but on the D7 it's barely worth more than a roll of 36...). At least it'll avoid the frequency at which one has to swap the cards and let one concentrates on the shootings...

Also check here for CF branding:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1376
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote