Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:08 PM   #31

Anybody found a way yet to read the bad block count off the virtual 'physical sector zero'? At least that's where I think it is. It's there somewhere because I know SMprep and CFprep re-calibrate cards and update the table.

Now that would allow us to compare all our cards- New, cheap and expensive and second user off Ebay, with use and over time. Although perhaps we might get a fright and not like what we find! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:56 PM   #32

I believe the number of writes is in the hundreds of thousands. It all depends on what flash the manufacturer wants to use.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think its true. To read sector 0, you need a special reader and software written for that reader. I've never tried to read it, so I don't know what software would be necessary.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 4:06 PM   #33
NHL

Quote:
I believe the number of writes is in the hundreds of thousands
... But remember the FAT? Doesn't this get updated every time a picture is taken or when a user review and delete an image? Also flash data unlike the 'rotating media' type can't just be overwritten on top of one another! An entire block has to be erased to '1's first and re-written even though just one entry in it is changed...

Quote:
Anybody found a way yet to read the bad block count off the virtual 'physical sector zero'?
Well I have a theory on this...

When I format my 1G microdrives on the 10D, they show up as 1G exactly and an estimate of 425 pictures available. If I repeat the same thing with the 1G Lexar Pro WA's, they only show up as 982Mb with only 409 pictures available. My bet is the free blocks are either held in reserved for the algorithm, or... already checked out!

May be other posters can double check this out as well...

BTW this happened to me this summer: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...607&highlight=
... that card cleared up by itself!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote