Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:53 PM   #1

Guys,
I am looking to buying a new xD memory card for my Olympus SP-350.
Once I started using this camera I got a 1GB Type-H since it was the faster at the time. Now I see there is a type M+ and that Type-H is discontinued. But can still be found on ebay.
I looked online but didn't find any real comparison between the 2 different types as far as write speeds go.

Which one writes faster, type-h ot type-m+ ?

Thanks so much and have a good thaksgiving!
skuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:58 PM   #2

I have no experience with M+ but can tell you that the H cards are faster than the plain M cards. At the time the H series cards were brought out the M card was the fast card and the no letter cards were the normal speed cards. I have a Fuji S9100 as a backup camera now and have a 1GB H series card loaded and it works fine for me but the 133x CF card in it is much faster shot to shot.....

I'd be very carefully getting memory cartds off ebay as has been documented on this message board many times before a lot ofmemory cards on ebay are fakes and you have to make sure your really getting what your paying for. I remember reading here that some of the cards off ebay didn't even work and other only captures 1GB but were rated for 8GB. Always by memory cards fro a reliable dealr like bhphotosvideo, newegg etc..... I have found that newegg has the best memory card prices lately.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:08 PM   #3

Quote:
133x CF card
What card is that?

My olympus only takes xD cards if I am not mistaken.

I read somewhere one guy saying the H writes RAW images faster than the M+. But another guy said he can format his M+ much faster than a H. Not sure if it indicated anything.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:03 PM   #4

Hi: I have all 3 types of xD cards: M, H, & M+. I have used them in my OlyE330 and C8080.In my cameras, the H is a little faster in write times for raw than the M+. The difference is probably not worth buying used instead of a new M+
(The format time is meaningless in write times fora photo.)

However I only use the xD for backup, as the CF cards are much faster than xD cards. (The only way you can use Compact Flash (CF) cards are in those Olys that have the dual card slots that allow you to load the two different types of cards into the camera.) I don't think the SP-350 that you mentioned has that capacity. On those Olys, you can only use the xD cards.

Also, only buy cards from reputable stores. It has been estimated that at least 90% of the cards sold on e-bay are counterfeit. There are firms in China that do nothing but churn out cheap counterfeit flash cards.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:21 PM   #5

Thanks guys

Quote:
Hi: I have all 3 types of xD cards: M, H, & M+. I have used them in my Oly E330 and C8080. In my cameras, the H is a little faster in write times for raw than the M+. The difference is probably not worth buying used instead of a new M+
Like a second or more faster?

My main concern is with RAW.

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:54 AM   #6

According to the article on Wikipedia, 'M' was the original, 'H' is up to 3 times faster than 'M',while 'M+' is up to 1.5 times faster than 'M'.

That would make 'H' fastest.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:34 PM   #7

Yes, I seen the wikipedia article before posting. I was looking for some real life testing, specially with RAW.

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:33 PM   #8

That would probably vary more with the size of the image sensor and the speed of the camera's processor than the speed of the xD card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote