Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:35 PM   #1

Just need to know if these cards are one in the same or if there is a difference.

thanks

dian
dianls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:28 PM   #2

Ultra II refers to a specific card made by sandisc. Sandisc has regular cards, Ultra II, exterme III and exterme IV. Ultra II are faster that regular cards. The older ones had a read and write speed of around 9mbps, they now make some that have 20mbps. Exterme IIIs are faster.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In my Sony A200 I am soupposed to be able to shoot 3fps continous till the card is full. when using an Ultra II I can shoot for 4 or 5 seconds then the card slows down to 2fps till the card is full. I have read several places that if you have an exterme II it is fast enough to keep up with 3fps on the Sony A200.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have not seen any cards marked high performance myself. Most of the cards are marked in x factors like 100x, 133x 266x.....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:13 PM   #3

understood on ultra II being a sandisk card
so would ultra II be equivalent to high performance? been trying to find out read and writes and have been unable to. cannot use anything higher in my camera which is older
thanks
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:00 PM   #4

dianls wrote:
Quote:
so would ultra II be equivalent to high performance?
I would say that, no, the Ultra II card is not high performance, but I don't know what you mean by "high performance".

dianls wrote:
Quote:
been trying to find out read and writes and have been unable to.
See http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/p...h-US_final.pdf

dianls wrote:
Quote:
cannot use anything higher in my camera which is older
Read and write speeds are for maximum throughput. A fast card is certainly able to work more slowly if that's all your camera is capable of.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:20 PM   #5

clarification.

I have a kodak cx 7530 and the most it can handle is a 1GB. sandisk has the ultra II and kodak has one called high performance. kodak does not give the write/read performance but states it is 30 fps high speed video.

sandisk ultra II is write/read 9MB/sec and10MB/sec

what I needed to know is if there is a difference in performance. does one have a better writ/read sppeed than the other. I do not knowhow 30FPS high speed video translates to write/read or if it even does.I have been on hold for 2 hours with kodak waiting for someone to help
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:03 PM   #6

According to the Kodak CX7530 Users Guide, you can only capture video at VGA (640 x 480) @ 13 FPS or QVGA (320 x 240) @ 20 FPS, So I beleive Kodak's "High Performance" SD card is overkill for you anyway.

And Kodak's own website states that the CX7530 can use 2GB SD cards. The upper limit is 2GB, not 1GB. As it happens, that's also the upper limit of SD cards. Larger capacity cards are SDHC Cards.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:39 PM   #7

thank you.

when I bring up the 2GB card. my camera is not on the list that is compatible with this card. the other day (cannot find it now) you typed in your camera and it gave a list of compatible accessories and no 2GB card was there. only showed 1GB. I did a live help the other night and was told the 1GB would give 45 minutes video but on package ( at store) it states 20 min. not that I will be using it. I amlending my camerato a freind who is taping a memorial video for her small children. her time is very limited.

good deal at store so I purchased it

thanks for your help
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:11 PM   #8

You have a Kodak CX7530, right?

The KODAK SD 2 GB Card webpage lists the CX7530 as compatible.

The camera you've got isn't very good at shooting videos. Perhaps if this is important, she should use something better.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:21 PM   #9

thank you for all your replies. going to go with a camcorder
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:47 PM   #10

heres my testamonial. id been using a sandisk extreem 3 2 gb card in my d300.seemed to work just fine.one day i sprung for a 8 gb lexar pro with UDMA 300x speed.beside more storage i noticed a definate increase in speed in camera operation and faster downloading.win win faster card.
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote