Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:19 AM   #11

First, I think the salesperson may have been familiar with using the camera you bought as a still camera, not a video camera, so he felt comfortable recommending the Ultra II Class 2 card for that reason.

Second, I think the salesperson may not have been familiar with using the camera you bought in it's burst mode, so he felt comfortable recommending the Ultra II Class 2 card for that reason.

Third, I think the salesperson was trying to get you to trust him, and in doing sorecommended a less expensive alternative than he or she should have.

This isn't SanDisks fault. You were misled by a salesperson.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 7:23 AM   #12

Thank you very much for your reply.
I completely agree with you that shop did bad job in giving recommendation.
What state of mind has made shop recommendations is matter of speculations, and you've nicely build the case.
But I know what state of my mind helped the shop "dupe" me (otherwise I am very technical and down to the fact person as it is my job) : I believed in SanDisk - which was a mistake.

So I will leave the fact of shop bad recommendations, as we both agree on this
and present some facts about my statement that SanDisk is not completely innocent.

- Canon specifies in the PowerShot SX1 IS user manual:
"Depending on your memory card, shooting may end before the maximum recording
time is reached. Use of SD Speed Class 4 or higher memory cards is recommended."
- I already own SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB and is obviously Class 4 card.
- SanDisk anounces their SanDisk Ultra II 32 and 16 GB as fast Class 4 cards:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02...ces_32gb_sdhc/
"SanDisk also showed off a 16GB version that'll come in at a more wallet-friendly $180 (£90/€121). Both cards are part of the company's Ultra II range and offer a maximum read and write speed of 15MB/s, SanDisk claimed. They're rated as SDHC Class 4 cards."

So when advised to buy SanDisk Ultra II, and choosing 16 GB version seemed completely correct.

Alas, SanDisk Class rating has inexplicably dropped and SanDisk Ultra II 16 GB I bought is Class 2, not Class 4,
even if SanDisk own "rating" of 15MB/s did not change.

The net is full of pictures of SanDisk Ultra II 16 GB with prominent Class 4 rating, some with much less prominent Class 2 rating - all of them having very prominent SanDisk own "rating" of 15MB/s. Those controversial pictures can be found even on SanDisk website itself. People buy off the net looking at picture which shows Class 4 and get product which is Class 2 rated, as discussed on SanDisk own forums. No comment from SanDisk, perhaps due to this attitude:
SanDisk downplays SDHC card speed ratings at http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03...es_sdhc_cards/:
"SanDisk is to add a 8GB SDHC memory card to its Ultra II line-up in June, but it's already sowing the seeds of confusion by claiming a range of speeds for the card in addition to the standard SDHC rating"

It is becoming speculation now - but the hard facts are:
My device needs Class 4 card, SanDisk Ultra II 16 was announced and sold as Class 4 card, while then quietly downgraded to Class 2 card which I ultimately bough not carefully looking into small print.

Therefore my conclusion from the last post: caveat emptor – double check speed ratings.

Like you said "The cards aren't running better than Class 6. The manufacturers are just quoting specs that make their own products look good.
When Company A says it's products are reliable, but Consumer Reports says they're not, who do you believe?"

I believed SanDisk, but I do not any more.

Tx
Rgds
Fila
Fila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:54 AM   #13

Ok then - silent acknowledgement :G
Tx
Fila
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:00 AM   #14

measuring my Transcend 16 GB Class6

video 1920x1080 with Canon 5DMkII or Canon SX1 needs 43Mbps (nothing higher .. standard 12-24 Mbps) = 5.4 MB - every Class6 is suited. Sandisk II + III is PURE overkill!

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:26 AM   #15

Class 6 yes - but SanDisk Ultra II 16 GB I bought is Class 2 even if it was announced and sold as Class 4 card :?

I am curretly using my 'old' SanDisk Extreme III which is Class 6 - and trying to replace SanDisk Ultra II 16 GB Class 2 :Pwith some other, most likely no SanDisk.

I have asked SanDisk support to clarify the speed Class rating - no response yet :evil:

Tx
Rgds
Fila
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:07 AM   #16

All manufacturers state the maximum transfer rate of their flash memory products. The SD Association's Class designations are for the minimum transfer rates. In other words, the card may perform as fast as the manufacturer says it will, but the cards won't perform any slower than the Class they're in. This is important for recording long and uninterrupted video streams.

And every manufacturer says something like "Specifications are subject to change without notice." Just because a product is advertised as 'Class 4' doesn't mean you have a valid beef if the one you buy is only 'Class 2', unless that fact was concealed by the packaging.

Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:52 PM   #17

testing my SD/SDHC/microSD/microSDHC cards - also used in my DSLRs with CF/SDHC adapter

Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:09 PM   #18

Once again, the SD Class is a specification on the MINIMUM throughput of a card, not the maximum throughput.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:38 PM   #19

I KNOW - AND DIDN'T SAY OTHERS :blah:

PS: YOU said SD class ...

Once again, the SD Class is a specification on the MINIMUM throughput of a card, not the maximum throughput

Corrrrection: right is - SDHC class! SD cards have NO class! Didn't you know this?

Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:40 PM   #20

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
Corrrrection: right is - SDHC class! SD cards have NO class! Didn't you know this?
From the SD Association websiteHome » Developers » SD Technology » SD Speed Class:

"These new speeds are available in a new specification defining the minimum data transfer speeds for both SD/SDHC memory cards and SD/SDHC host products. This enhancement is easily recognized by three levels of Speed Class, class 2, 4 and 6."

The Classes are for both SD and SDHC cards.