Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:19 AM   #1

My new DSLR takes SD/SDHC memory cards. I see they come in sizes ranging from 1GB up to 32GB. However, 2, 4, and 8 GB seem to be the most common capacities and are reasonably priced. I am curious as to who manufactures the best quality cards? How does Transcend stack up against the competition?

Sincerely,

Ron
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2

Some time ago, people here used to complain about Transcend cards, but lately people have been swearing by them.

As to what makes a card "the best quality", a number of factors can come into play. Certainly, reliability is a big factor, but speed might also be important.

If you will be shooting video, or shooting continuous or burst (And since you don't have to pay for film processing, why shouldn't you?) The speed of a card makes a lot of difference as to how well that might work. If you use a slow card, video might be choppy, and continuous shooting will capture about 5 or 6 images and then pause because the buffer is full and the camera can't transfer images to the card fast enough to keep shooting.

Basically, you should buy the fastest cards your camera can take advantage of, but knowing what that is is the tricky part. If speed isimportant, Isuggest you buya variety of cards from different manufacturers, all with the same small capacity (so they're inexpensive.) Try them out an see which one(s) let you shoot continuously without interruption. When you find one that works well, buy a larger one of that same kind.

As to what size to get, I suggest you go for the card you like in the capacity that has the best cost per gigabyte. This will generally be one or two steps down from the maximum capacity available. I also think you should get a couple of cards, just in case one of them fails or you lose or break it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

I always recommend that you have a spare card inyourcamera bag and that the primary card or cards have enough space to capture the number of images you are going to take over a period of time that you can not off load the memory card. Thespare card should be in addition to the number of images you plan to take and be there in case something goes wrong with the card or one of the cards you use.

My camera is a 10MP camera and I keep a 16GB in the camera but also carry an 8GB and a 4GB in the camera bag.I also own a 2GB cardthat I have in my spare camera.I never plan or have had a situation where I would need more than the 16GB and the 8GB cards so the 4GB is a backup card for me. The combo of the 8 and 16GB has gotten me through an entire day of wedding shooting and is more than I have ever needed for the largest newspaper and fire-rescue events I have ever been involved in.

What I would do is buy the faster card you can afford, although you camera may not be fast enough to take advantage of it as many people have pointed out on this forum is that a faster card can upload to the computer faster and after taking 100s of images that can save you a lot of time. I would look at ther class 6 SDHC cards if you can afford them.

Also like Tcav sayid we don't have to pay for film processing anymore so why not spend a little extra on the memory card because you can reuse it for years into the future., I still have a working smart media card from 2002, but the camera is long gone.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
What I would do is buy the faster card you can afford, ...
There is a lot of wisdom in that, but the expensive UDMA cards (266X, 300X, etc.) can be a different story.

I bought a couple UDMA cards even though my dSLR doesn't support UDMA. They work as fast as my fastest non-UDMA cards when shooting JPEG, but when shooting RAW, they are slower than my slowest non-UDMA cards. So while gettting a fast card is usually a good idea, you may not want to overdo it.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:04 AM   #5

One of my friends that works at Panasonic in Japan, was telling me that she wouldn't be surprised by this upcoming summer, if they don't have their 64 GB SDHC card on the market. When you stop to think about it, 64 GB is a lot of space, but I am sure that there many professional photographers that are eagerly awaiting such a memory card. This only leaves the question, what is next after that?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:57 AM   #6

See Moore's Law.

What's next? 128GB, and 16MP image sensors, and USB 3.0.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:56 PM   #7

I was surfing the Web and came up with this high-end camera. If I ever hit the lottery or Irish Sweepstakes, I will buy one.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...blad-anno.html
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:41 PM   #8

I've had good luck with Kingston.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote