Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:00 PM   #1

Long story short:

I'm looking to get a half dozen to dozen SD cards cheap. They can have very small capacities if that helps (128 Mb or maybe even less).

Short story long:

My motherisn't exactly a technology fanatic. We bought her a digitial camera and she didn't take to it.

We got her a digital photoframe for Christmas. She actually likes it since she can get pictures of her Grandchildren (my nephews) on it. We are going to try the digital camera thing again.

Since she's not that tech savey and doesn't have a computer, the best approach would be to have several cards she can treat like she would a 24ish count roll of film that she just developed. She can pop one in to the digital camera and it will start playing.

We were thinking about a half dozen or dozen cards like this to keep photos for recent events around for the digitalframeand we'd store olders ones ourselves and print (or have printed) photos she wants to keep.

Any suggestions on getting reasonable quality cards inexpensively if we allow their capacity to be small.
jpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:13 AM   #2

First, small capacity cards are hard to find.

Second, they tend to cost more per megabyte. I just checked, and Adorama has a128MB SD card and a 1GB card for the same price: $7!

But your methodology has a lot going for it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:39 AM   #3
Administrator

newegg.com has Transcend 1GB SD cards for $3.49 now. I wouldn't go any larger than 1GB for better compatibility with devices like photo frames (some devices are not going to work probably with cards larger than 1GB).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208042

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:38 AM   #4

jpm100 wrote:
Quote:
...can have very small capacities if that helps (128 Mb or maybe even less)...Any suggestions on getting reasonable quality cards inexpensively if we allow their capacity to be small.
I have always advocated small-size cards, because I know folk who have lost hundreds of once-in-a-lifetime holiday images by losing something the size of postage stamp. I am neurotic about backing up my cards immediately to two different locations every time I return home after shooting any images.

But we may be too late. My local camera shop owner told me (as I bought my daughter's Christmas present digicam and cards) that soon I won't be able to get anything less than 2 (or possibly 1) GB. This is unsurprising, given that he sold me two 2GB cards for 10 ukpounds.

The demand is driven by the fashion for poor quality video clips, requiring vast space. I use a DVC camcorder (reusable cheap medium) for video myself. But I expect the tapes and camcorders to become unavailable soon.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. They reinforce what I suspected from some earlier shopping.

Its a shame really. You think they could make up on volume what they loose on a premium for more Gigabytes.
jpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:44 AM   #6

The smaller cards are going for a couple of dollars each, however shipping can kill you - costing more than the card itself. To get around that your going to have to buy multiple cards and ship them together.

Another avenue is ebay. There are auctions with the cards going (or starting at) a penny. If you can find an auction with several cards available for a very low price, and able to ship them together to again hold down the shipping cost, that may work for you also. There are also auctions for multiple cards....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote