Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:41 PM   #1

This isa bit of a complex question, but I'll try to keep it as brief as poss.

I've just ordered an SDHC 4Gb card (Sandisc) for downloading extra maps to my sat nav ~ BUT ~ I've since discovered it's not compatible.

Q 1) - - - I'm presently using a 2Gb "normal" SD card with my Pentax K100D DSLR, would the SDHC card be compatible with the camera? --- and if so, I think it is probably not compatible with my laptop. SO,

Q 2) - - - what kind of card reader would I have to get so that my laptop would get on with the SDHC card?

Thanks for any help. :idea:

P.S. ~ when registering here, I tried countless usernames, all of which were taken, hence the reason for the silly username :?
Pentacks Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:07 PM   #2

The difference between an SD Card and an SDHC card is the capacity. Cards with capacities of less than 4GB are formatted with the FAT16 file system, while cards with capacities of 4GB or greater are formatted with the FAT32 file system. Some older devices don't understand FAT32, and so can't use the cards. The Pentax K100D, with firmware version 1.01, or better yet, version 1.02, can use SDHC cards.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:08 PM   #3

The K100D (as of firmware 1.01) supports both SD and SDHC media.

Just buy a sd/sdhc card reader, as long as it mentions it supports sdhc it will do fine.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, Tcav & Sintares.

Excuse my lack of technical expertise ~ but I'm not sure how my camera relates to firmware 1.01 or 1.02.

I purchased the camera new in March 2006 (U.K.) if that gives any clue ?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:15 PM   #5

From the Pentax website:

"You can check your current firmware version by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button."
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:51 PM   #6

Uh-Oh! ~ I checked it as you advised TCav and it displayed "Version 1.00"

I've contacted Pentax (via their website) to ask about the compatability, but going by what I've read about Pentax's customer response, I'm not holding my breath while I wait for a reply. SO ~ does anyone know for sure whether or not the 1.00 version is compatible ?

(I have already received the card, but I don't want to break the seal on the case just to find out [by using it in the camera] as that would probably render it "un-returnable")

In respect of 4Gb SDHC card on Amazon's website I have copied the following:-

[*]Type: (SDHC / CLASS 6) Secure Digital High Capacity [/*][*]100% compatible with all devices designed to use Secure Digital cards as standard or extended data storage.

As this is froma seller's website, it may of course be a bit of sales blurb . . . or is it true ???

[/*]
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:33 PM   #7

Pentax K100D firmware version 1.00 is not compatible with SDHC cards. Compatibility was added with firmware version 1.01, and improved with version 1.02.

Go to http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/self-support/, and, under Firmware -Historic Product, select 'K100D'. The downloads and instructions are all there.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:24 PM   #8

TCav, thanks for the link to the Pentax download.

I've just had my son help me with it, so the camera now has version 1.02 and the new card works fine.

:-)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:59 PM   #9

Congratulations! And good luck with it.