Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:13 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Panasonic FZ28. It came with a Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card.

The camera and card worked fine as I needed to use it almost immediately.

I would like to purchase another memory card, but am not sure what to buy.

The SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC looks to be an upgrade in capacity and speed. But I also see an SanDisk extreme III 4GB is available with even higher performance.

The camera is capable of using the SDHC cards, but I am not sure if there would be an advantage of spending the money for the 'extreme' card.

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.
Wrightone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2

You can buy Class 6 4GB SDHC cards for around $10 - buy one and see if you can see any difference.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:47 PM   #3

If your FZ28 doesn't take advantage of the extra speed of the SanDisk Extreme III, and the card outlasts your camera, maybe your next camera can take advantage of the extra speed of the Extreme III.

And, in a P&S digicam, the extra speed is only really necessary when you shoot video.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:02 PM   #4

Depending on when or where you buy, the Extreme card comes with a life tim warranty, sometimes the card reader and the Recovery disk. So buy one of these puppies anyway. Seems Calumet or Adorama run deals every so often.

I also bought the PCI card for the Mac Book Pro and that saves a lot of time downloading.

SDHC cards do require a different reader......
Tom McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:37 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I personally only use Extreme III cards in both my point and shoot cameras (Panasonic TZ6 and Canon SX1) and Canon dSLRs due to the high performance and stability they offer.

I wouldn't have gone for the Extreme IIIs in the P&S unless I was shooting HD video, if you are not (possibly if you are on the FZ28) you can get away with the Ultra II and save some money. Yes your cards will last longer than the camera but the pricing will always come down and the performance will go up to keep up with the data needs of the cameras.

So after all that rambling I'm basically saying get whichever you fancy for now but if I were to choose and money wasn't a concern go for the IIIs.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice.

There seems to be a big difference in price between the II's and the extreme III's right now. Not sure if I can justify the difference.

I am really happy with the new FZ28. Really an upgrade from my old Powershot S70.
Wrightone is offline   Reply With Quote