Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:14 PM   #1

I know a lot at 58 but don't know a thing about memory cards or memory card readers
(sigh).

I have always been addicted to electronics of every kind so it's no wonder my whole family is too. I am no whiz but I love photography as well & consider it an necessity when you have a family. My immediate family now has 3 different digital cameras counting my new Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS (I love it!). We are in real need of a durable (the teens ya know), external memory card reader/writer that will handle any kind of memory card SDHC/SD/MMC &
etc up to 32 GB etc. we throw at it & with anything else a family with a growing appetite for anything photography might need. There are so many of them out there ! .^ Please help us with some suggestions so we make the right choice.

I thank you for your time :-)
Attached Images

Melly_Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:05 AM   #2

Memory cards use a standard interface that has been around for a while. The same is also true of USB. There isn't a lot that distinguishes one memory card reader from another. all the current models will work well. Plus, they are inexpensive, so if one becomes damaged, replacing it is no great inconvenence.

I use a D-Link DUB-CR200 which is an 8-in-1 card reader plus a 3 port USB hub, that I've had for some time now and have been satisfied with. It's $45 (MSRP)on D-Link's website, which puts it at the high end for cards readers, but when combined with the USB Hub, It was worth it for me.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:17 PM   #3
conor

I have two card readers, one SD, one SDHC.
They were freebies while buying SD memory cards online. I think the SDHC one came with a 4gig SanDisk card I bought for about 15USD after shipping.

My opinion is that the small cheap ones are easy to tuck away in a safe spot, the front pouch of your camera bag for example. Many have covers on both ends (one for the USB jack and one to cover a card when it's inserted) which is very useful for making your SD(HC) cards into small USB drives.

My vote is that you buy the cheapest one around, spending no more than 8USD including shipping, perhaps one like mine that was thrown in free with a cheap SD card on eBay. I know one of mine handles 3 different types of card (SD and MMC for sure, though I cant remember what others as I havent got it on me).

If it quits, throw it out and buy another one.

If all you're doing is moving data to one single computer, you might consider having an internal card reader installed on the machine. The advantage here is that it stays in place with much less chance of damaging it (less chance of breakage, less chance you lose it).

Heres an example of the second option I was talking about. http://www.usbwholesale.com/16%20in1...20internal.htm
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:23 PM   #4

Thank You conor : ) for your sound advice & time.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:29 PM   #5

Thank you kindly
TCav : ) for your wise & practical advice .
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:12 PM   #6

I prefer the SanDisk Image Mate readers because of their upgradable firmware.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:38 AM   #7

Stay with branded, known readers even if they cost more. There are so many out in the market that are low in price but bad in quality.

I made the mistake of buying a cheap reader, hoping to save. As a result, I almost lost all of a baptism's photos.

It's a good thing SanDisk has an excellent photo recovery software that allowed me to retrieve most of the photos.

Do not trust your "memories" to cheap stuff.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote