Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 26, 2003, 5:50 AM   #1

Default CF card or camera problem?

Hi, this problem just happened once - but the BIG question is, can I trust the camera or the CF in future?
Suddenly during shooting, camera, Dimage 7i, informed "card error" and nothing helped, no restarting, not even formatting was possible, and the card had lost mabe 2o images.
I reformatted the card (FAT16) in my desktop, and again the card seems to work fine. The card is a Sandisk ultra 256.
I got the feeling that I cannot trust the card any longer - or is it a camera problem?
Has anyone out there any good suggestion - except to use bigger number of smaller cards to minimize data loss?
petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2003, 6:15 AM   #2

First of you could have tried PhotoRescue or Digital Image Recovery (or others) to try and get the pictures off the card (using a card reader).

The problem is a number of things could have gone wrong to cause this problem, bad card, bad camera, card not inserted fully, bumping the camera (momentarily causing the batteries to lose contact) while the card was being written to, etc. Also, when was the last time you formatted the card in the camera...could have been a corrupted FAT.

Format the card in the camera, and then try shooting with it for a long period, see what happens. Sandisk are very good with their warranty.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the many tips. Actually I tried with photo rescue before reformatting on the desktop, but the card was definitively empty and not even formattable inside the camera.

The suggested failure mechanisms are of course all possible, but as this never happened before to me during my 1 year with this camera I became suspicious.....
:?
petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:27 AM   #4
NHL

I would try a different flash to determine if it's the card or the camera (low batteries also could be the cause). A flash card is quite a complex device:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...443&highlight=

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:29 AM   #5

I can understand that feeling...for the first time in the year I owned my camera (Olympus C-700) I actually had my camera freeze up on me...I had shot 100 pictures within an hour, and I guess it was too much for it. It was fixed by just opening up the battery door a few seconds and closing it again...but it sure did scare me since my warranty had just expired a few weeks earlier.

But the thing we can't forget about our cameras is they are computers...they may not run Windows, but they can still crash or have the file system become corrupted.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:59 AM   #6
NHL

I totally agree here... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
But the thing we can't forget about our cameras is they are computers...they may not run Windows, but they can still crash or have the file system become corrupted.
... Sometime a PC(or camera) can crash for environmental causes totally unrelated to the H/W design or the OS of the system:
1. Noisy power supply, or poor regulation (ie batteries in cameras)
2. Heat build-up due to dust clogging of the heatsink fins or poor circulation (ie outside the operating limits of the camera)
3. Poor contacts on the SIMM/DIMM which can alter signal timings at high speed (ie ditto with camera/flash interface)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote