Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:01 AM   #11

I was able to recup all my pictures!! I wasmissing the Y/N on the last page. DUH!! after I put the card in the computer it was listed as an option and then I just enter through until I came to the end. It did not recup the first time for me, and I had to do it a second time and it worked that time.

Thank you so much!!!! I really am pretty good on the computer, but for some reason had issues with this.

mygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Administrator

Great! I'm glad to hear that worked for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:39 PM   #13

In reference to this thread, photorec is not able to recognize my SD card. Any ideas?
muvment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:56 PM   #14
Administrator

muvment:

Exactly what problem are you having and what size card is it? As for photorec, are you sure your card reader is compatible with the card you're using (i.e., you're using an SDHC compatible card reader if it's an SDHC versus SD card)>
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:41 AM   #15

All of my details:

Its a 2 GB Kingston Elite Pro SD card. It was used in a Canon SD630. The camera says "Memory Card Error" and the built in SD reader on the laptop does not register the card. I've tried another laptop, with the same results. I have an identical card that works perfectly.

The laptop beeps when the card is inserted, but gives an Error 10 under Device Manager (cannot start). In addition, the card does not get a drive letter associated with it, nor does it appear under the Disk Management.

I've also tried to mount the drive in Knoppix, but my poor linux skills prevent me from getting very far on this path.

It seems to me that this is similar to a corrupt Sector 0 (MBR) or index, but may even be a physical issue. The exact moment it happened, the card was working on my camera and I removed it, put it into the computer, and it no longer worked. No noticeable physical damage occurred.

If you think its something more critical, do you know of any service that could handle this?

Thanks for all the help.
muvment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:27 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
I've also tried to mount the drive in Knoppix, but my poor linux skills prevent me from getting very far on this path.
Are you in the U.S.? If so, send me a PM with a phone I can reach you at and I'll try to talk you through using your Knoppix live CD to get what you can from it. You don't need to mount it. You just need to get it where it can be seen by the OS as a block device, using utilities to see drives like fdisk (as in this example of what you'd type from a console under Knoppix):

su
fdisk -l

Once you get that far, you can use gnu ddrescue (which you can install from the net using apt-get install gddresue from a console) while running from a Knoppix live cd, in order to copy the contents of it to an image file (a sector by sector copy of the card), without worrying about it's partitioning scheme. Then, you can use photorec to recover your photos from the image file you created with ddrescue. After that, you can use testdisk to recreate the MBR on the card to see if it's repairable (and it may be if it's just an MBR problem).

See this forum post for more details on this type of recovery technique. With Knoppix, you'd need to install gnu ddrescue (package name gddresuce from the Debian repositories that Knoppix uses). Then, you could use the same approach.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...tml#post882107
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:24 PM   #17

Here's my situation...

Transcend 4GB SDHC used in a Canon XT1I. Was taking pictures and everything was fine. Then an error message pops up saying "Cannot read card. Insert or change card". I was no longer able to take photos or view them on the camera. Tried to view them on my PC through my card reader and had no luck. A friend suggested I use Disk Utility on a MAC to see if that works and still no luck. Card isn't shown on either the PC or the MAC.

Any help to recover these pictures would be greatly appreciated. My daughters 1st bday pictures are on this card.

THANKS!
Billy
Billy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:33 PM   #18
Administrator

Billy:

Are you sure it doesn't show up under the list of media available when using the free Photorec utility? Try it and let us know what you see.

Use your card reader and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, etc.). It will be the one that's the same size as your card. Just select it and gve it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files" (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec named recup_1, etc.), but you can change it to something else if desired.

If your card is not showing up in the list of media it finds, let us know (but, try removing it and reinserting it and restart photorec to make sure it's not showing up).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

It doesn't care about the file system at all, so any FAT (File Allocation Table) problems won't matter if you got any contiguous images saved before your FAT was corrupted (the most likely issue).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases., too. Here's one example (and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface). I usually prefer photorec. But, if you're not comfortable with a text based interface, you may want to try this one first instead.

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?Language=1
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:05 PM   #19

Thanks for all your help! I was able to download most of the pictures that I had taken. What a life saver.

THANKS!
Billy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:02 AM   #20

Default SDHC Issues

JimC,

I was hoping you might be able to provide me some additional support as I'm having an issue where my card is currently unrecognized by my computer and PhotoRec.

Situation:

Win XP Pro SP3; 16GB Transcend SDHC w/ card Reader and Canon SD960is which are under a month old. Had finished taking photos of a friends wedding this past weekend and at one point left camera in shade on table. When retrieved camera, shade had moved away and black leather case was rather hot (not sure if this is root cause of issues being seen). Noticed that the thumbnails for prior 5-6 pics were un-viewable on camera, but camera was able to take additional shots. Uploaded camera to computer upon returning home, which succeeded for all but the 5-6 corrupted images. Then tried using the card reader to copy those raw corrupted 5-6 images over with no success. Tried using the camera yesterday, two days later, and camera indicated card is locked when it is not. When card is locked, the camera wonít even function. Got home and used the card reader, windows identifies the card reader but indicates no disk is present. It's inability to see the disk in the card reader causes both PhotoRec and PC Inspector Smart Recovery unable to function. Iíve since tried the reader on multiple computers all to the same result.

In addition I noticed that about 2 dozen or so of the images I already had transferred to my computer are un-viewable... have thumbnails but main image is corrupted.

I'd prefer to try and recover the items from the card so I can try and get the 5-6 images that weren't transferred and see if a cleaner recovery of the 24 transferred images from the card can be achieved.

Are there any other utilities or tricks with getting them to work with SDHC cards that are in a card reader but unrecognized as being inserted? Before I attempt reformatting the card or contacting transcend for a warranty replacement, I'd like to try and get those last few images and others, incase I can't repair the corrupted ones already transferred.

The behavior seen when re-inserting the card reader vary:
Doesnít list the drive letter for 3-5 minutes after the reader is recognized.
Seeing a drive letter, but clicking on it leads to a prompt to insert a disk
Not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (when in SDHC in locked position)

Thanks greatly in advance for all the help you've been providing.

Jeremy
rpi_alum is offline   Reply With Quote