Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 31, 2003, 3:18 PM   #1

Default Sandisk "Extreme" CF and "RescuePRO"

I have never used a digital camera before and just purchased an Canon Powershot A80. I will be gettting a couple of 256MB CF cards. I figure I will try two different brands so I can compare performance and reliability. I will try one Lexar 256MB card ($52.95 at B&H) and the other card I am considering is a Sandisk 256MB card ($51.95 @ B&H). My question is: Sandisk also has an “Sandisk Extreme Compact Flash Card”($89.95) which comes with “RescuePRO” data recovery software. The card states a write speed of 9MB per second and a read spead of 10MB/second. Is it worth getting the “Extreme” card for my A80, or is it really only designed for “high-end” digital cameras? I see the “RescuePRO” software selling for $40 seperately, so there would be some savings buying the “Extreme” card.
Thank you.
jmphotoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2003, 12:08 AM   #2

A few things.

Those throughput numbers are theoretical. No camera can write that fast, so it doesn’t matter if the card can be written to that fast.

Second, the A80 is not a high end camera. Any card over around 12x or so is probably wasted because the camera (probably) can’t write faster than that. Since there are no hard numbers available, you need to track down a web site which tests this camera (and they needs to be well done tests with good, consistent methodology. In other words, this is very hard, if not impossible to find.)

I think it’s safe to say that that card is really only designed for the high end DSLR cameras, but you do get some other things than just (in theory) speed for that price. You get the software, as you point out. That is nothing to be laughed at. I’ve never used or heard of that exact piece of software, but recovery software is a good thing in general. Also, I bet the card comes with some kind of extended warranty. Some people are willing to pay a bit more for that. Lexar does that with their WA cards, they have a lifetime warranty and come with recovery software too.)

So I doubt it’s worth the money purely for speed reasons, but it could be worth it to you for the other reasons.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:18 AM   #3

The only other good reasons I can think of for buying faster cards than you need, is USB downloading speed could improve and you might one day move to a higher spec camera when your card investment can be used. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:38 AM   #4

there again your limited by which version of USB you have.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:33 AM   #5

Default "rescue" software

Thanks for the feedback. I need to look further into this "rescue" type software to see what else is out there. Are "name brand" CF cards generally reliable? Or is it "fairly" comon to need to use software to recover data?
jmphotoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:49 AM   #6

no. reliability is high on the better cards.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 3:51 PM   #7

Many 'no-name' brand cards, have major manufacturers chips inside the packaging! Viking use Toshiba.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:23 PM   #8

viking is 2nd tier not no name. having a name brand controller means little today the memory itself is as important too. companies like lexar, delkin, and now even sandisk are "modding" their controllers and using higher speed ram to help move things along.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 4:21 AM   #9

I didn't mean to knock the Viking name - the one's I've used all work fine. I suppose what I really mean't was, if you open them up you'll find Toshiba chipsets inside. VOX
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Many 'no-name' brand cards, have major manufacturers chips inside the packaging! Viking use Toshiba.
Actually they all do, even the majors since there are not exactly alot of companies that can dish out $1billion+ it cost to build a new fab to build most modern memory. The larger manufactures out there for flash memory are Samsung, Intel, AMD, Micron, Toshiba and a a couple others...but not in that order.

If you want a more specific break down of who makes what and how much of it I think I could find the figures. 8)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote