Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 9, 2009, 4:17 AM   #1

Default card error

hi there! im lost, please help, ive recently brought a 2gb memory card for my old but reliable digimax 401 and it keeps saying card error am i doing something wrong? ive not uesd it for a while but my daughter is going away on a school trip and this is easy for her to use and if the camera was to get damaged relatively inexpensive...

any ideas

thanks
birdieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2009, 8:06 AM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried to format the card using your camera's menu choice for format? You should find one in the setup menus somwhere.

You may also want to try using this utility to format the card with a card reader. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

But, as old as your camera model is (introduced in 2004), it may not be compatible with 2GB Cards. The original Secure Digital Specification only allowed for card sizes up to 1GB. So, your camera may not understand how to communicate with a 2GB card. See this page for details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_larger_cards
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 6:23 PM   #3

Thanks JimC I will get a 1gb card first as that is easier for me, all that formatting stuff is beyond me.... can you tell im a novice lol. anyways. I will let you know the outcome.

thanks again for your time and advice
birdieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 6:58 PM   #4
Administrator

It's still a good idea to format a memory card using the camera's menu choice for format, even if you get a different card. That way, it's formatted just the way the camera expects it (since the camera is doing the format).

You should find a Format menu choice in your camera's setup menu somewhere. Personally, I reformat my cards after every reuse using my camera's menu choice for format. That insures the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), which is the way an operating system keeps track of where files (your images) are located on the card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote