Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 10, 2009, 6:48 AM   #1

Default please help wedding photos!

I have a canon ixus75 and a 8gb SD memory card. My sister got married yesterday and I took about 3 photos and then took a small video. When the video was writing to the card it was "busy" for a very long time, much longer than normal. After that i didn't think much more about it and took over 80 more photos. after each photo was taken the normal 3 second preview flashed on the screen. However, today when trying to view the photos the camera says "incompatible jpeg" for all photos after the video. All photos before that work fine. When uploading to computer it only recognised the photos that worked and all the rest are invisible. I took the SD card out and transfered the files to computer via card reader. They say they are jpeg and properties give them as having size (1.4mb etc) but I can not open then. Have tried several viewers and get the "unrecognised file format". infraview claims they are a PCD file but they are not. Have tried several different recovery programs with no luck. Not sure what to do next? Does anyone have any ideas of how to recover my sisters wedding photos? Help
Jane
jac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 8:14 AM   #2

Try PhotoRec.

If that doesn't do it, there's Ontrack Data Recovery, probably on eo fth eoldest and most respected companies in the industry.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 4:17 AM   #3

Thanks, I tried photorec and got nothing. Well, I got some old photos that had been deleted. Did not get any from the wedding. Unfortunately I cannot afford $950 to use Ontrack Data Recovery!

I think the problem is...the files don't need recovering. They are there, they are just corrupt? So I need a program that will fix a corrupt jpeg. all the data recovery programs so far simply recover "lost" files. I have all the files saved I just can't open them. I think it is lost cause:-(

Jane
jac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 9:06 AM   #4

I just did an internet search on "jpeg corrupt repair" and found multiple ways that you could try. I am NOT familiar with any of them, so I won't suggest something for you to try, but whatever happens, please come back and tell us of your experiences.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac74 View Post
Thanks, I tried photorec and got nothing. Well, I got some old photos that had been deleted. Did not get any from the wedding.
Jane... By default, Photorec will only recover files that are contiguous and uncorrupted

However, you can change some of the settings to alter this behavior if desired. If you look for the "Paranoid" settings when using photorec, you'll see three choices for it. Try using Yes with Brute Force On (the default is Yes with Brute Force off). It will take longer for it to run that way, but you'd have a higher chance of recovering uncorrupted images (since it's using relatively sophisticated techniques to try and piece together parts of images that are located in more than one place on the media). That option (Paranoid: Brute Force On) will still filter any corrupted files.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Photo...otoRec_options

If you still don't get any additional images that way, you can set Photorec to keep corrupted files. But, I have no experience using tools designed to fix corrupted files (as you can find using a Google search like TCav mentioned).

Did you see any read errors trying to view the contents of the card with other tools that may be indicative of a hardware issue with the card (for example, "sector not found" type errors)?

Did use a card reader with Photorec?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote