Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 25, 2009, 10:11 AM   #1

Default Low-Level Format vs. Format

Canon A550. In Menu, it gives me a choice of Low-Level or "regular" Format for the memory card. What is the difference? The date is frequently lost and I usually just default to Regular format. I did try Low-Level, and have not lost the date yet.

Thanks in advance
wboyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2009, 1:07 PM   #2

Flash memory cards use File Allocation Tables (FAT) of one sort or another, to keep track of where photos are stored. When you format (as in, not a low level format) the FAT is cleared, so the card forgets where all the photos are stored. They're all still there, the card just doesn't have the necessary information to retrieve them. A low level format not only clears the FAT, it also clears the photos as well. And while it does it, it also checks the entire addressable storage on the card to make sure it can store and retrieve data from the entire card.

A low level format clears the entire storage device, so that any photos that might have been there can't ever be retrieved again.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3

I would also like to add and Jim C says this very often. The best way to reformat a memory card is to do it in the camera before every shoot.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:36 AM   #4

Default Apart canon which other brands have "Low level Format?

Hello to all of you!

Apart Canon...which other brands also have this "Low/Slowly level formatting" possibility?

Thanks so much for your polite input!

Peace,

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:13 AM   #5

I have only ever heard of Canons having the option.

If you were so inclined, you could do a low level format in a computer, and then do a regular format in the camera.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:55 PM   #6

Thanks so much!

Seems that it's a "Must" with corrupted cards, as I have one NOT HC 4Gb "Unknown Brand"...yesterday a friend brought me his Canon P&S camera so did it there...& after "Low Formatting" 4 times consistently... + 2 "Regularly" speed formatting..All is working again!

Sorry for be; very honestly...about Computers I'm completely Idiot...so with out help of any of my Sons...can't do it by myself...but among us...as this "Specific" SD generic "Normally" SD card gifted to me 4Gb, is the only one that own...so if will happen again.."WHEN" will be use it again...IF...IF...IF...?. Can go to my buddy to do it again in his Canon P&S. camera.

Thanks so much anyway!

Peace,

Alex 007
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:55 AM   #7

That's not such a good idea.

Flash memory devices have a finite number of times they can be written to before they fail, and while its in the tens of millions, a low level format uses up a lot of them. Doing it four times will certainly hasten the inevitable. Once is good, twice is ok, but four times might have been a mistake. I'd replace it soon if I were you.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:11 AM   #8

Default OPS...always learning!

Thanks so much for your noble information!

You see...always learning from much more erudite & polite gentlemen as you...now 100% known that next time...IF...IF...will be installed inside any of my SD cards system cameras...to borrow from my close neighbor his Canon A710 IS camera for "Low Formatting"...ONCE only again...IF...IF...inside my lovely Panasonic LX-3 refuse to make the formatting! (Among us...will try it tomorrow...snapping 15 photos & immediately after formatting inside the same Panasonic camera). if works...works!!!.).

Will informed very well, of course!

Peace,

Alex 007
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:16 AM   #9

Default No accepted by my Panasonic LX-3!!!

Hello again,

Instead waiting till tomorrow...decided to check out NOW...as you will see at my two attached photos...my lovely Panasonic LX-3...totally refused to accepted this card!

Peace,

Alex 007
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:23 AM   #10

Now what the rear LCD wrote...about this specific card...

BTW...I formatted again in the Canon A710 IS body...the Canon accept the card...I tried it & worked...OK. Will work ONLY with "Specified" cameras...as Canon's P&S ones...!

Thanks so much for your polite & accurately response! I appreciated very much.!

Peace,

Alex 007
Attached Images