Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 13, 2002, 4:29 PM   #21
NHL

Theses are quite hilarious postings, ours included!

Quote:
I dropped it on concrete... felt like a lightning struck me (my own stupidity). I still use it, it survived the fall. It worked just fine during the entire trip, even in the helicopter...
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3160669

Quote:
goes with me on my motorbike, takes ace pics from a plane, is cute, technologicaly wonderful and ahhh its a harddrive little bigger than a stamp
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3184084

From your own posting:
Quote:
thes laptops dont break that easy. they just make them for the lifestyle they must live.
Amen! My point exactly with the microdrive... Now shall we have that beer?

[Edited on 8-13-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:24 AM   #22

we all know a non operating hd is less vulnerable to shock damage than a spinning one. your ref was to a "high vibration" situation as in (laughable) car or heli. try again.

as to a laptop. working on a speedboat. most laptops designed for testing are "hardened" for just such an application. the hd is set in a gel to absorb reasonable shocks and considerable vibration and non operating shock.

example- d1x(off) in camera bag w/md run around and drop bag fron approx 3 ft. no problem. same camera running md up to speed while shooting. get pushed in crowd at event while shooting and writing to card drop camera on to ground approx 4.5 ft(the mall in DC dirt and some grass) pick up camera. filter broken. camera fully operational except for 1 minor error. CHA. reset camera. CHA. remove filter clean up and replace cost $55. remove MD and replace with cf. go back to shooting. lost picture amount at time of event approx 120 images. md cost approx $300 image loss value $? who knows. my comment to him was: Ooops!

this is an event that occured 6 months ago while a friend and i covered an event in DC. i shot with my f5. no problems

now every example you give of the md not having an issue is with power off and in a non operating state. being carried.
i can carry a block of C4 around with me kick it burn it throw it around. spike it and add the det cap and i have a whole new respect for it.

a md is at its most vulnerable states at 2 times startup and read/write just as any other hd. furtunately a lotof laptop make provisions some shock mounting of the hd. the md is relient on what it is placed into. for protection. i have found no items that adequately do that except for a microtech case.

these last set of quotes say nothing.
the first did not say was it in the camera was it running or was it still in the case
the second one i won't even comment on because i'm laughing too much. gee what an situational challenge those were.

as to the 3rd i discussed that at the top.

boy we're getting plenty of lookers but it's just you and me.

everybody feel free to jump in at anytime after all this is a discussion group.

soon for the beer
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 7:33 PM   #23
NHL

You're really grasping for straw aren't you?

Please read the specs:
Non-Operating
- Shock: 1500G
- Vibration: 3.01G (low freq.)
- Vibration: 5.0 G (high freq.)

Operating
- Shock: 175G
- Vibration: 0.67G (low freq.)
- Vibration: 1.0 G (high freq.)

IE they are enough to give anyone a headache! (if you survive). As a reference, most roller coaster rides are rated much less...

What the chance for a mishap like your friend to happen? I would rate it much less likely than getting mug in DC!
I think your friend was just plain lucky, in most circumstance the thin glass LCD would be the 1st to go... long before the microdrive. There's nothing new here, all microdrives owners are aware of this and we've all made a conscious decision to get the microdrive for it's cost and convenience. Not for its reliability over flash which we also have plenty of BTW. Unlike you we don't pick one over another, but we embrace both!

At worst we would "hardened" our camera enabled microdrive with gel glove...

LOL, LOL!
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:56 PM   #24
NHL

Let me also help you looking up some numbers, since I've already have it: My wife's 225HP TT Quattro can only pull 0.91g on a skidpad before it's 225/45 ZR17 lose grip (A Porsche Boxster can pull 0.89g). No it's no Paris/Dakar and no we don't risk loosing our licence doing Mario Andretti on public roads either, but I take on quite a few smiles snapping pictures of Blue Ridge mountain while cruising... I'll make sure to think about you next time!

LOL

It's also nice to know that some one @ IBM left a few design margin to spare!

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by NHL]

BTW the Microtech is another case of wasted of money... you should see how the microdrive was shipped to me from a tiny factory sealed cardboard box, even the included PCMCIA adapter was better packed! That shows how much confidence they have in the design !!!

Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:09 AM   #25

you have completely lost it.

ok i'll go with it. what does that have to do with vibration statement?

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:41 AM   #26

Default my work vehicle

you can see that cars really don't cut it with me.
this is what i do for a living. no pilot. i'm a tech on this little barnstormer. we have 18 of them.
B777-200ER
cruise speed: mach 0.84 at angels 350 (35000 ft)
engines: 2 GE90-94e4b
thrust each eng: 94000lbs t/o
range on 1 tank of fuel (45220 usg) i'm in hong kong via over the north pole (still haven't seen the striped pole yet) in approx 16 hrs from EWR

this plane has the most advanced avionics pkg so far in the world. fly by wire. seats 283 with reasonable comfort. video at every seat.

i'll be in london, tokyo, or hk or just about anywhere i need to go. i'll be dreaming of you as i sleep in bus first class.

not quite the sports model but it gets me ther in comfort and style.

peter max paint job optional>

ok now i've gone over the top

Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:17 AM   #27
NHL

Peace

BTW did you know I was part of the team that designed the FADEC (Binhamton, NY) that goes into the GE-90? It's a dual redundant control system for that engine right? Is it on a Arinc-429 , or 629 (Datac) bus now? If you do happen to open the engine control there's still a few old fashioned 68030 in it... pretty good back then to achieved the required ETOPs huh?

I believe the 777 airframe from Boeing has triple redundant busses though for its fly-by-wire... So we do have a lot more in common!

Cheers

Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:38 AM   #28

when i go into work in about an hour i'll look it up just remember 429 is the one way bus and 629 goes both. there is just too much junk in this thing to remember it all. i spend most of my time working AIMS issues. i spent 2.5 months back in 98 at boeing 8-10 hrs a day. i thank god for the mx manual. got an old PMA here never worked quite right. you worked on the eec design? on that engine that is one big box you guys had hung on there heavy too. have had to pull only 2 off eng since we got them. we've changed all the fleet engines 2x though for mods ge paid for.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 12:10 PM   #29
NHL

You're right with 629 you only need 1 bus and it's much faster (plus you can make it either optical or magnetic) while you'll need two links for the 429 (which is electrical only, pretty old and date back to all airframes prior to the 777). You'll still need 2 pair for dual-redundancy though.

Well the GE90 may be big, but it meets the ETOPs to let airplane fly on only two engines on overseas route (which all required 4 before!) ie the MTBF is not that good on those smaller and older CFM or P/W engines!

BTW Military FADEC which I also worked on are smaller, triple redundant, and even fuel cooled, but only uncle SAM can afford it, and is based on Mil-1553B and not ARINC... So if Boeing paid up they could have had a smaller box!

Old Aug 15, 2002, 12:27 PM   #30

i sign off on the first US trans pacific to nrt from ewr. which then certified the eng for etops operation under the FAA back in sept '98. it was an interesting little voyage.

hey we got to get back to arguing, no discussing the subject at hand. we endanger of becoming friends here.

who do u work for now?