Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:28 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash to Memory Stick Adapter

I bought a Sony a300, my first dSLR, and it accepts only compact flash. I'd like to use a Sony Memory Stick if possible since all of our computers are Vaios. Sony sells a CF to Memory Stick adapter (AD-MSCF1). Can anyone tell me up to what transfer rates are supported by this adapter? I already have a Memory Stick capable of 30 MB/sec. Will I get this transfer rate through this adapter? Anyone?
jerochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:03 AM   #2

jerochan,
I thought the A300 like all of the Sony DSLR's accept a Sony memory stick Pro Duo format card as well as the CF type I and II format? I know they probably wont accept the plain old style memory stick cards because of speed issues.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:19 AM   #3
Administrator

I haven't seen anyone test a newer Pro Duo Card in that Adapter (which doesn't mean the tests don't exist, I just haven't seen any). The only test I've seen with the adapter was with the older Sony A100, and it was using a slower Sony MS Pro Duo Card (and it tested as very slow). So, I don't know how fast a newer MS Pro HG Duo (and the newer HG cards are dramatically faster than most MS Pro Duo Cards) would be through an adapter. If it's not an HG type card, I'd be inclined to get a CompactFlash card instead (since non-HG MS Pro Duo cards are relatively slow anyway).

selvin:

The Sony A100, A200, A300, and A350 have a Compactflash slot and require an adapter if you want to use MS Pro Duo media.

The Sony A230, A330, A380, A700 and A900 have dual card slots (MS Pro Duo, CompactFlash), so they can use either card type without an adapter.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4

I have seen a test of the MemoryStick HG-Pro-Duo in an A700. It was faster than the MemoryStick Pro-Duo, but it won't be as fast as an HDMA CF card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:46 PM   #5

Default I agreed with Jim!

Hello to all of you!

Completely agreed with Jim!!!

Acquire this Sony 4gb Memory Stick Duo card & ONLY yesterday shoot at RAW with my never & lovely A900 camera...& discovered how "SLOW"...is this card writing to the card & after reading trough my Laptop. Yes was cheap...but now I learn...don't look forward for "Cheap" cards...get the faster as possible expensive one!

Peace,

Alex 007
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
jerochan,
I thought the A300 like all of the Sony DSLR's accept a Sony memory stick Pro Duo format card as well as the CF type I and II format? I know they probably wont accept the plain old style memory stick cards because of speed issues.
Aloha
Both the Sony A200 and A350 don't have dedicated memory stick slots and you have to use a CF to Memory stick adapter which is not included in the box..........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:42 AM   #7

hey guys i had trojan virus in my memory stick duo now that i have formatted it the cf adaptor once inserted in the camera doesnt pick the memory stick whereas elsewhere the memory stick works fine , i think my cf card is damaged what to do?
Pamela12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:01 AM   #8
Administrator

What kind of camera are you trying to use it in?

What size is the memory stick duo?

How did you format it (by default, Windows will probably use FAT32, which is incompatible with some cameras).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:40 AM   #9

Hi...
I think these should be more useful
Interface: Compact Flash Type I compatible
Operating Voltage: DC3.3V/5V
Power Consumption (action): 70mA/DC
Dimentions (LxWxT): 1.68 x 1.43 x 0.13 inches
Weight: 20g (0.7oz)
Environmental specification: Temperature 0 to 60
Supported Memory Stick: Memory Stick/PRO Duo Media
sellyanes is offline   Reply With Quote