Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:48 AM   #1

Default PCMCIA or USB Card Reader for a Laptop?

Hi I am new to all this, but I am looking for a Compact Flash reader for my laptop---would you recommend going USB (I only have USB 1.1) or going with a PCMCIA to CF Adapter? Is one faster than the other?

Thanks!
catfishnribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:09 AM   #2
NHL

Yes

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=delkin
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:12 AM   #3

A recently released product is a PCCard adapter for CF which is much faster than the older adapters you'll find in Radio Shack and other places. That adapter cost about 10-20 bucks and was... well... slow. I've got one. This new one is supposed to be quite fast. I believe Delkin has the rights to distribute it in the US.

The catch is that you need to have a faster 32-bit controller in your laptop (or something like that, its a question of the type of controler.) I don't know how you tell if you have that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 2:57 PM   #4

Yes, I've been caught by buying a 32 Bit CardBus product which won't work in an older laptop - so be careful. In the end I used a pcmcia adaptor which had no chips in it.

I've often thought somebody should do a USB 1.0 pcmcia adaptor (even a bit slower) which wasn't 32 bit CardBus, but current adaptors only seem to be the 32 bit type. Couldn't find anybody emulating a (slower) USB1 adaptor through the parallel port either. So if your laptop is older than about 3-4 years, you have a problem and pcmcia seems the only card reading solution. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 7:40 PM   #5
NHL

Vox

It's 32-bit CardBus ie in PCMCIA, and not Rambus as in the serial memory bus on the processor!

Quote:
PC Card-16 cards use an 8- or 16-bit interface that operates at ISA bus speeds (8 MHz) using an ISA-like asynchronous protocol. In contrast, CardBus provides a 32-bit multiplexed address/data path, which operates at PCI local-bus speeds of up to 33 MHz, yielding a peak bandwidth of 132MB/sec. CardBus accomplishes this by adopting the synchronous burst-transfer orientation of PCI, as well as a bus protocol, which is essentially identical to that of PCI...

... CardBus cards share PC Card-16's small, thin mechanical card design, as well as a similar 68-pin connector. Because of the high clock-rate of CardBus, the CardBus connector design encloses the standard 68-pin PC Card connector in a grounded shield.. When used with the prescribed CardBus controlled edge-rate buffers, this shield ensures that ground-bounce does not corrupt signals, even at bus speeds as high as 33 MHz.
http://www.pcmcia.org/papers/new_bus.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 6:32 AM   #6

NHL - thanks for your correction I'll correct the post. The result was the same - old laptops are a no - no. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:27 PM   #7

If you only have a laptop, buy a PC card reader.

If you both a desktop and laptop, I would recommend a USB
reader so you can have two readers (one for desktop, one for
laptop) for price of one.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote