Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:13 PM   #1

Default Problem with Kodak sd memory card

I have a problem with my memory card and I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to do. I have a Kodak 2GB sd memory card which I have used in my camera for about a year, with no problems. Recently, I took it out of my camera and put it in my computer's memory card slot, which does accomodate sd cards. Up until this point, I had only transferred pictures onto my computer by hooking up the camera to the computer with the USB cord. Other family members have put their sd cards into the computer and transferred photos with no problem, but when I did it with this memory card, only a fraction of the photos that were on the card showed up on the computer. I thought that was a little strange and I took the card out of the computer and put it back in my camera. When I looked at the contents of the card on the camera, it showed the same number of pictures that had come up on the computer. It showed 400 and some photos on the card, and just before I put it into the computer there had been nearly 2000 photos and the card was about 10 pictures away from being full. What I thought was even more strange was that it still said there were only 10 pictures left before it was full, even though it only showed me 400 pictures. So it seems that the space on the card is still taken up, but I can't view a large portion of the pictures. I have no idea what my computer could have done to it, everything seemed to be working fine. Also, it wasn't just one chunk of pictures that disappeared, it was random ones here and there. A lot of them weren't saved on the computer yet so I would really like to get them back. Is there any possible way to do this?
als_curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:54 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd suggest that you download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Use a card reader if possible, and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, memory cards, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files: (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired). Note that this product does not retain the original file names (but, you may not care about that), since it ignores the file allocation table entirely.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any files that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

After you recover your images (and make sure you can see the larger images, not just the thumbnails), I'd make sure you format the card again before using it, using the camera's menu choice for format (not your PC).

I do that every time I reuse a card (format it again using the camera's menu choice for format). That way, the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:25 AM   #3

I'm having a problem with a Kodak 8GB SD HC. I bought the card in January to use with my new Panasonic LX5 and until 2 nights ago it worked fine. Here is the story.
The other night I was shooting an event with my Nikon D90 and filled up it's SD card. I took the Kodak SD card from the Panasonic, stuck it in my Nikon, formatted it and was able to finish out the night. I came home, uploaded the photos from the Kodak card to my iMac using a card reader & LightRoom 3.
When I put the Kodak card back in my Panasonic, the card wasn't seen. I would get the message "Pictures will be recorded to built in memory" I put it back in my Nikon and the same story. Neither camera is able to see the card so I wasn't able to reformat it with either camera.
I put the card in my card reader, attached it to my iMac and used the disc utility app>verify disc & repair disc.
I'm am able to transfer files to and from the SD card using my Mac, but the card still can not be used in either camera. - Thank you.
Elavats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:31 PM   #4

First thing you should do is to save all the files on the SD card to your computer.

I'm thinking that the card got corrupted when you returned it to the Panasonic.

AFTER you have copied all the files to your HD, format the card with the Mac, plug it back into the Panasonic and you should get a message saying you need to format the card, do it, and you should be ok again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavats View Post
I'm am able to transfer files to and from the SD card using my Mac, but the card still can not be used in either camera. - Thank you.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:07 AM   #5

Default Kodak SD card

@SquareOne, Thanks for replying. All the photos from the card uploaded fine, it wasn't until after the uploading that I returned the card to the Panasonic and the problem was noticed.
That said, I once again reformatted the card with my iMac and according to the iMac Disc Utility analysis the card is fine. I can evern move items to and from the card using my iMac. However, when I put it in my Panasonic I still get the message
"Pictures will be recorded to built in memory"
If I put it in the Nikon I get an error message. Neither camera can see the card which of course eliminates the possibility of recording images on it.
Elavats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:31 AM   #6

Default Problem with Kodak sd memory card

I have a similar problem. In my case, the card did work properly in the pc and still working up until now. YThe problem is, the card has stopped working in my camera since that day. I am unable to format it with the camera cuz it can't even see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by als_curly View Post
I have a problem with my memory card and I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to do. I have a Kodak 2GB sd memory card which I have used in my camera for about a year, with no problems. Recently, I took it out of my camera and put it in my computer's memory card slot, which does accomodate sd cards. Up until this point, I had only transferred pictures onto my computer by hooking up the camera to the computer with the USB cord. Other family members have put their sd cards into the computer and transferred photos with no problem, but when I did it with this memory card, only a fraction of the photos that were on the card showed up on the computer. I thought that was a little strange and I took the card out of the computer and put it back in my camera. When I looked at the contents of the card on the camera, it showed the same number of pictures that had come up on the computer. It showed 400 and some photos on the card, and just before I put it into the computer there had been nearly 2000 photos and the card was about 10 pictures away from being full. What I thought was even more strange was that it still said there were only 10 pictures left before it was full, even though it only showed me 400 pictures. So it seems that the space on the card is still taken up, but I can't view a large portion of the pictures. I have no idea what my computer could have done to it, everything seemed to be working fine. Also, it wasn't just one chunk of pictures that disappeared, it was random ones here and there. A lot of them weren't saved on the computer yet so I would really like to get them back. Is there any possible way to do this?
Tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:13 PM   #7

@Tresor, welcome to the forum.

Have you got another card you can try in the camera? I'm guessing that the card is a SD type. If that one fails to work then the problem has to be the card reading circuit inside the camera and would need professional repair.

If It's a compact flash type, the socket in the camera can become easily damaged and you would need to look very closely to see if any pins have become bent or broken. If you see bent pins DO NOT try bending them - they are very brittle and will break, again the answer is to have a professional check out the camera and replace the socket.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
@Tresor, welcome to the forum.

Have you got another card you can try in the camera? I'm guessing that the card is a SD type. If that one fails to work then the problem has to be the card reading circuit inside the camera and would need professional repair.

If It's a compact flash type, the socket in the camera can become easily damaged and you would need to look very closely to see if any pins have become bent or broken. If you see bent pins DO NOT try bending them - they are very brittle and will break, again the answer is to have a professional check out the camera and replace the socket.
@square one, thank you for the quick reply. I have another 1G sd card which does work perfectly both in my laptop and the camera, so i beleive the camera is still reading ok. Remember, my 2G Kodak card does also work perfectly in the laptop but not in the camera (like it use to). So i've got a card showing that the readers are working on both equipments.
Tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:46 PM   #9

I have a Kodak 4GB SDHC card that went bad on me after repeated use. There is a spot on the card after so many photos, the next one is always corrupted. The one after that is fine. I reformatted the card in camera and out of camera in Windows to no avail. I ran also scandisk/chkdsk on it and no errors was found. I bought a Sandisk card for the camera and reused the Kodak to store files off my computer. It has totally died now, I can't read/write to it any more from the computer. (Yes, I checked the write tab is set to enabled.)
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:19 PM   #10

I had the issue before. i think there must be some problem with your memory card. you may download some data recovery tool to fix it. i used one before named EaseUS Data Recovery. you can take a try.
qwer123 is offline   Reply With Quote