Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:42 AM   #1

Default finding a ibm/hitachi 1 gb microdrive

i purchased a used Dimage 7i and need a microdrive...i understand that it should not be over 1 gb...but am having a difficult time finding one. where would i find one? thank you!
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

You are not going to find them new any more so eBay is a possibility.

I'm not sure if a normal 1Gb CF card will work, I'm sure I used to have a 128Gb card in my Dimage7 but I admit I also had the 1Gb microdrive (would you believe it cost 330 when I got it), so you would need to check if a 1Gb CF does the job.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:58 AM   #3
Administrator

Why would you need a microdrive?

I'd use a Compactflash card instead.

At one time, Microdrives were very popular because they had a lower cost/Megabyte compared to CompactFlash media. But, they have higher power requirements, tend to be a bit "finnicky" with compatibility, and since they're mechanical, they're more likely to fail.

You can use any CompactFlash card that's 2GB or smaller in your 7i. These are available for under $15 if you shop around. Here are some examples:

2GB Compactflash cards at newegg.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:22 AM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

Since this question is memory card related, I'll move it to our Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers Forum for you.

Note that you can get a 4GB card to work in a 7i (or earlier DiMAGE 7), based on a number of user reports I've seen. But you'd need to format a 4GB Card as FAT16 using a 64KB Cluster size (which is something most operating systems and devices are not going to do by default with a 4GB Card). So, it's probably best to stick with 2GB or smaller cards so that you can use your camera to format them when desired.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5

thank you for your assistance, t.
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6

I will second the use of a CF card rather than microdrive, for the major reason of power consumption. The CF card is going to use considerable less power, and with the Dimage 7 series cameras already being power hogs, you would be further reducing your picture taking time by using a microdrive.
If you really want one, I believe I have seen a few listed at KEH for very low prices.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote