Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:59 PM   #1

Default Thoughts on the Extreme III 30 MBps SDHC cards?

Just ordered 2 (8 GB), one for the XSi, another for the G10. I don't care about transfer speed from camera/card to computer, but rather write speed from camera to the card.

I've noticed that it takes a bit to write a pic to the current card in the G10 (8 GB Class 4, came free with the camera). Not surprising since the pic sizes range anywhere from 7 - 11 MB in size.

So will I notice a significant speed increase when the cam is writing the pic to the Extreme III? I'm figuring it should take about 1/3 Sec to write a 10 MB pic vs. the 2 - 2.5 sec it currently takes.

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks,

CT
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:16 PM   #2
Administrator

The Bottleneck will tend to be the camera with the G10 (it's write speeds to media will probably "max out" at less than 6MB/Second, regardless of card speed). You'll tend to get diminishing returns going to faster cards with this type of camera (buy a card with write speeds twice as fast and only see a small increase in throughput due to camera processing speed limitations).

With the XSi, you're probably going to "max out" at less than 15 MB/Second. Rob Galbraith has some tests, but he hasn't tested the latest 30MB Extreme III Cards yet. However, a faster Sandisk Ducati only tested at 12.6MB/Second (the standard Extreme III was faster with that camera model). We'll have to wait and see if the latest 30MB/Second cards are any faster in it (but, I suspect that around 15MB/Second is going to be tops for it).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9424
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:52 PM   #3

Like Jim C said on the G10 the camera is going to be the bottle neck. I checked with my brother who has a G10 with both a 4GB class 4 and class 6 SDHC cards. He tells me he sees no differences in write speeds in the camers between the two cards when he is doing stills but on the video side the class 4 card seemed to dropa few frames and the class 6 didn't.

Hope that helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:32 PM   #4

Thanks Dave, I pretty much confirmed your brother's results this evening. I took the Class 6 card out of my XSi and put it in my G10, no difference in write speed on the still shots.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:52 PM   #5

Extreme III SDHC 2nd ed. seems faster in the G10 than the Kingston Class 6 card. 2 "LED Write Blinks" with the Extreme III vs. 4 blinks with the Kingston card.