Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Default memory formating

I am using Patriot sdhc 8bg class6 card and using Panasonic sd memory card software.When I attempt to format card...the computer says"The memory card is "write-protected."Please release the "write-protect switch."
I put the switch in the opposite position ..and nothing changes.
Patriot has been very co-operative,and replaced the card.
Any help...Please!
goldbug 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2

So, it happens with the replacement card as well?

What happens when you format the card in the camera? (... which is always the best method anyway.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:13 PM   #3

If I format in the camera (Panasonic dmc fz18) the computer says "the card is not formated.Would you like to do so now?"Btw the camera can accept a 8gb card but not a 4gb card,so it should work.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbug 2 View Post
If I format in the camera (Panasonic dmc fz18) the computer says "the card is not formated.Would you like to do so now?"
When you connect the camera, with the memory card inserted, directly to the computer, does the computer recognize the card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbug 2 View Post
Btw the camera can accept a 8gb card but not a 4gb card,so it should work.
That doesn't sound right. Where did you read that?

Is this the only card you've got?

What card reader are you using?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:02 PM   #5

I can not answer the question about going from camera to the computer as I do not have the correct wire to do so,however,I can take the card to Wally World and have it print out pictures all day.
A friend told me about the 4gb-8gb thing....not a good friend???
I can use regular sd cards in the camera AND the reader will read them just fine.
Targus reader.
Tahnks for your time ,sir.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:26 PM   #6

It is possible that your reader isn't compatible with SDHC cards (4GB and greater), just SD cards (2GB and smaller.)

If there is a dividing line between SD cards that willl work and SD cards that won't, it would be the difference between SD Cards and SDHC cards. So if an 8GB SDHC cards works, a 4GB SDHC card should work as well. The Panasonic website states that the FZ18 is compatible with both SD Cards and SDHC Cards, which leads me to beleive that your card reader isn't compatible with SDHC cards.

The Users' Manual for the FZ18 lists K1HA08CD0013 as the part number for the USB Cable for the FZ18. Perhaps you could call Panasonic at 1-800-272-7033 to get a replacement.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:24 PM   #7

Fir one reason or another my mind is telling me that their are no 8GB SD cards, don;t SD cards stop at 4GB and SDHC cards go up to 32GB. I know of some older cameras that ca't read 4GB SD cards or 8GB SDHC cards. Check the card your using to make sure you really mean 8GB SD card and not SDHC also check the manual and let us know if the camera can handle 8GB SDHC. What I think is happening is that ytour using a larger card than the camera can handle. Also as for connecting the camera to the computer directly you can go to Radio Shack or Office Depot and for under $20 get the proper USB cable if need be to upload images that way.

Hope you get it shorted out soon

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:03 AM   #8

This: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html will explain why I used the Panasonic software instead of the camera.I think I should be using the camera,but,I have tried both with no luck.
The card IS a sdhc 8gb class6 card.
The reader is a Targus sdhc tgr-20 that is "bacward compatible". The reader reads sd cards with no problem.(But not sdhc cards)
The Panasonic website say the camera is able to use sdhc cards.
The sdhc card works fine in the Photo-Kiosk at Walmart.
I will get a transfer wire on Tuesday (I live out in the country and can not run to the store very often-sorry) and will let you know if it changes anything.
Thanks to ALL for trying to help me with this problem....What a great site!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:55 AM   #9

If you are going to format a card in a computer, then the Panasonic utility would be a better choice than the generic formatting option in the operating system. But formatting a card in the camera is always preferable to formatting a card in a computer.

Yes, the 8GB card should work fine in your camera. I was trying to say that your friend, that told you "the camera can accept a 8gb card but not a 4gb card" was probably mistaken.

If the specs for the card reader don't SPECIFICALLY mention SDHC cards, it's highly likely that it doesn't support them, so you won't be able to format the card in your computer, however you do it. Similarly, you won't be able to use it to retrieve photos from the card either.

The part number I listed is for the cable that came with your camera. It is highly unlikely that a retailer would have it available seperately.

I think you should contact Panasonic for a replacement cable (if it isn't too expensive), but your best option is to get a card reader that is compatible with SDHC cards (not just SD cards.)
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10

"Roller Coaster Ride"!!!!
I emailed Targus on the 4th and got an answer today (the 14th),fast huh?
As follows:
" Dear valued customer,
We apologize that the reader is not reconizing the memory card.There are issues with reading cards above 4gb.So,that is probably why it is prompting you to format the card.Most memory card readers do not read and reconize cards that are larger than 4gb.We apalogize for any inconvience this may have caused.
Regards,
Steven Harari
Customer Support Manager
Merkury Innovations LLC "
Where does this leave me??????I am not a "techi" but "sumpin stinks"!