Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Sandisk SDHC 4GB card reading help/ advice

I have a Sandisk S D HC extreme 111 4GB card that neither my card reader on my 3 year old computer nor my card reader on my 3 yr old printer will read. I can download the photo's by using my cable from camera to USB though. I understand from looking at previous posts that my card readers may be too old but what if I bought a new card reader and plugged that into a USB would that work??.I dont really want to keep using the small port in the side of the camera. Also if I bought a 2 GB EX 111 SDHC card would that work with my current card readers?? I have no problem with my older 1 and 2 GB SD cards. My Panasonic FZ7 wont recognise the 4GB card either.Is that the SDHC causing it?.
Help would be appreciated.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Many Secure Digital card readers won't work with SD Cards over 1GB in size (the original SD 1.0 specification did not support cards greater than 1GB in size and many older card readers were designed to this spec).

Even if you have a card reader that supports 2GB or 4GB SD Cards, it may not be compatible with SDHC cards if it was designed to the SD 1.1 specification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

You'll want to buy a Secure Digital Card reader that specifically supports SDHC cards (i.e., the newer SD 2.0 specification) for compatibility with newer and larger cards.

Your FZ7 does not appear to be compatible with SDHC cards. This camera was launched before the newer SDHC (SD 2.0) specification was finalized.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Jim,I was just about to take it back to the dealers as they said they would change it for a new one. Looks like I would have had the same problem over again.You would have thought the dealers would have figured it out .
Anyway thanks again.
I should think Sandisk owes you a favour or two.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote