Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:23 AM   #11

I tried to run that command after (ddrescue /dev/sdb sd1.img sd1.log) and got this:

Quote:
mepis1:/mnt/sda2# ddrescue /dev/sdb sd1.img sd1.log
ddrescue: cannot open input file: No medium found
Sorry I am not as familiar with this syntax....I'll wait for better instructions to proceed.
endor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:25 AM   #12
Administrator

Right... that's what we want.

Now, do this. I changed it to use a full path to the root directory of your NTFS Partition (where we're writing the image file to). That way, it won't matter if you don't change directories to it first, as long as the drive is mounted.

su
ddrescue /dev/sdb /mnt/sda2/sd1.img /mnt/sda2/sd1.log

Let me know when it finishes and post the results. That card looks like it may have a lot of issues.

Depending on how much we see in the way of errors from the copy, I'll probably want you to unplug the card, plug it back in again, and repeat the same command when it finishes (so, don't close the terminal window). Basically, the log file is keeping track of what's been copied OK so far. So, you can make multiple passes against to the card to try and get a better copy (with ddrescue filling in the gaps with any more good data it found after each pass)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:27 AM   #13

This seems bad.

Quote:
mepis1:/mnt/sda2# su
mepis1:/mnt/sda2# ddrescue /dev/sdb /mnt/sda2/sd1.img sd1.log
ddrescue: cannot open input file: No medium found
mepis1:/mnt/sda2#
Did I do something wrong?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by endor12 View Post
I tried to run that command after (ddrescue /dev/sdb sd1.img sd1.log) and got this:
I missed that post. It's not seeing your card right now. Unplug it, plug it back in and try again.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 AM   #15

Hold on - I pulled out the card and reset it and now it is doing something. Will post when it is done.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
mepis1:/mnt/sda2# ddrescue /dev/sdb /mnt/sda2/sd1.img sd1.log

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
Current status
rescued: 6537 kB, errsize: 8061 MB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 8068 MB, errors: 15868580, average rate: 70292 B/s
opos: 8068 MB

mepis1:/mnt/sda2#
Now it did something! What does this tell us? Should I do this multiple times, and if so do I change the file name?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17
Administrator

That it's in bad shape (only got around 6MB from it). Unplug it, plug it back in, and rerun the same command.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:36 AM   #18
Administrator

IOW, it's got a component problem of some type. But, sometimes you can get one to work a bit longer by unplugging it and plugging it back in again. You can rerun the same command as often as desired (it will just make another pass and fill in the gaps if it finds any more good data, without rereading what it already copied OK, since the log file is keeping track of that part).

Temperature changes can sometimes effect results, too. For example, I managed to recover most everything from a card a while back after letting it get warmer (I left in the built in reader in my wife's laptop overnight and it started working better after heating up some). You may also see the opposite (cards working better when cooler).

What we're trying to do is get a copy of the card with as few errors as possible (and it's only getting around 6MB from it right now). Once we get a better image of the SD Card, then we can run photorec against it to recover any files.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
Current status
rescued: 6537 kB, errsize: 8061 MB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 8068 MB, errors: 15868580, average rate: 68096 B/s
opos: 8068 MB
looks similar. I am continuing to try and keep getting similar results. Am I up a creek?

I can play with the temperature too.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:45 AM   #20
Administrator

BTW, you can use the up arrow to repeat commands when using a terminal (that can make it easier than copying and pasting the same command back in each time).

What we're trying to do is get it to copy more than what it's getting right now (that's not enough data to do us any good). I'd let it cool off a while (unplug it). Then, try it again. If that doesn't give you any more data, then I'd do the opposite (try to let it warm up in a reader for a while and retry).

If you're persistent, and if the component problem is intermittent, you may be able to get a lot more data from it.