Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:29 PM   #1

Default Memory card image size question

I have found that when I put my SD card straight from my camera into a 42 TV I get an image which fills the screen with great detail. When I download images from my Photo Elements onto the same card then put the card into the TV I get slightly smaller but same quality images. My question is before I put the images from PC to card can I get the size back to full screen without quality loss? Question two would a usb flash drive storage device be better quality wise than a SD card or is it just a matter of storage?
Thanks for any advice.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:55 PM   #2

A couple of possibilities come to mind.

First, when you put the card in straight from the camera, it may be showing the 3:2 images on the 16:9 screen by scalling the image from edge to edge, cropping the top and bottom. When you put in the card with PSE images, it may be showing the entire 3:2 images from top to bottom, placing sidebars on either side.

Second, the camera gives the image an attribute of 72dpi, so the TV is displaying it at 720p, but PSE gives it 300dpi, so the TV is displaying it at 1080i (or 1080p if the TV can handle it.)
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:24 AM   #3

Hi TCav,
thanks for the reply,I'm sure what you say is right. I only put these pics onto a TV in a shop and as they were of images that had a large cropable area I didn't notice the difference.
Regarding the moving of posts, I post onto a UK archery forum as I have been in the sport for 38 years and can be of some use but they are very strict about going off topic or posting in the wrong box and think nothing of moving posts about and interrupting aguments with a caution etc. I think the whole site would meltdown if a four letter word was used :-).
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:52 AM   #4

I'm speculating about why what you describe happened.

I have no first hand knowledge.

But if the TV is doing one thing with one photo, and another thing with another photo, those are some of the things that are different and could be the reason.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote