Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpotato View Post
Thank you for the link Shoturtle but this article you referenced does not address the "hacked" card issue ... it does talk about "counterfeit" cards which are very, very different from "hacked" capacity cards ... and essentially gives hints how to visually recognize a "counterfeit" Sandisk card ...

However a hacked capacity card can only be discovered using software ... either by using a test program ... or much worse ... when you try to download your data from the non-existant sectors ... and it is possible to have a "genuine" memory card which has its capacity digitally altered to read a false higher capacity. Fakes are not necessarily hacked cards ... they are just low cost copies ... and they can have the stated capacity and work quite well.

Also, the article in question is not on the Ebay help page ... it can only be found buried in the section "reviews and guides" and was not written by a member of Ebays staff nor endorsed by Ebay ... it was written by an "amateur" and it refers specifically to counterfeit ... not hacked Sandisk cards ...

I was hoping Ebay actually was doing something about the terrible problem of false capacity memory but I guess money talks louder than ethics ...
Actually if you do a search in that area of ebay, you will find more info about hacked cards. There is allot of stuff on the issue.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:40 PM   #12

Default If consumers do not know that "hacked" cards exist why would they do research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually if you do a search in that area of ebay, you will find more info about hacked cards. There is allot of stuff on the issue.
Consumers do not even know this problem exists ! People ... including yourself ... confuse hacked cards with counterfeit cards ... and they should not have to do a search in obscure areas of Ebay about such an important issue ... the articles you refer to ... if they exist ... are buried so deep that they are essentially useless ... and as i said before they are NOT in the "Help" section of Ebay, not written by a representative of Ebay and not displayed in a manner which helps anyone ... its actually easier to do a general search in Google etc.

But to repeat myself ... why would anyone do a search for "hacked" cards if they dont even know the problem exists ? This information should be displayed by Ebay on top of the pages where such products are being sold ... many people have lost irreplaceable data ... wedding photos etc because of Ebays implicit condoning of this behavior.
dancingpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:44 PM   #13

Very true, and i agree that it is something the ebay should address.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:30 AM   #14

Hmm, I've heard of these hacked cards for a while, but does anybody know how they do it?
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:32 AM   #15

They rewrite the bois info saying it is a 16gb card so when you put it in a reader, it saids 16, but it is mostlikely a 1 or 2 gb.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:45 AM   #16

Over 85% to 95% of all memory cards, MP3 MP4 Players and Usb flash drives sold on eBay are fake capacity.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

Someone should make this thread a sticky here ...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:23 AM   #17

An interesting little article about how scammers "reprogram" a flash drive (pertains to flash cards also).

For the technically minded only ... ummmmmmmm maybe for sadists too ! and if u bought one ... and got cheated ... masochists are also welcome to read the article.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...ide-made-easy/

Last edited by dancingpotato; Jan 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:27 PM   #18

Does anyone know a reporter or journalist who might want to do an article about this terrible problem on Ebay ? Ebay does not care at all as they are making too much money ... so it will never end.

And for all you photographers ... of which I am one ... It's not just the wasted money ... its all the lost data ! Don't forget the cards are programmed to read false capacities so anything written to the imaginary sectors is lost forever !
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:21 AM   #19

I would recomend that nobody ever buys anything ebay. When anything goes wrong ebay are not in the least bit interested. Ebay make a lot of money from dealers putting on cars that are dodgy so they are certainly not bothered about you. I am sorry that you feel that you have beened conned but you have now joined one of the many hundreds of others. The more I speak to people all I seem to hear is that they are no longer dealing with ebay. I think it started out with the best intent but it is now only concerned with how much money it can make.
jacksonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:30 AM   #20

to go off topic for a sec. It really depends on what you are buying form ebay. Generally get all my lens hoods off of ebay saving 90% of what the camera maker will charge, and 50 percent of what a retail will charge for a 3rd party brands. Also for little items like hot shoe levels, 3 dollars with free shipping vs 25 dollars at the stores. So I have to wait 2 weeks for shipping, but it just save me 23 dollar. Ebay has it's place. You just have to know what you should and should not buy off of ebay.

I have gotten lenses form regular members of ebay on auction, and the product was just as described. If I am really interested, I message them and request more photos of the item. If they are for real, I pretty quickly get the info I requested. I have not had any issues as of yet with getting thing off of ebay. Been using them for over 8 years now.