Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:25 AM   #21

I agree with shoturtle ... Ebay can be a wonderful resource if you are prudent and use good judgment ... there are great bargains to be had for the informed buyer ... also there are some online stores such as FocalPrice and DealExtreme which have better prices without the hassle of Ebay.

HOWEVER and its a big HOWEVER ... the reason i started this thread was to warn my fellow photographers about the SPECIFIC problem of hacked false capacity flash cards ... the way they are hacked is so sneaky and dangerous that it really important to publicize this plague ... the computer or camera even seems to read the fake capacity and seems to write the data ... but it never really happens ... and there is NO way to recover lost images as they are never written .. gone forever !

Read about it here: http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

Last edited by dancingpotato; Feb 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
dancingpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:56 PM   #22

that was my thought about ebay a while ago, not to ever buy anything from the ebay site unless the person that is selling it is fairly local so i can go meet the person and physically check out the item. ill buy stuff on craigslist just for that reason but one still has to be very cautious.
stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:17 AM   #23

I am very happy to report ... if anyone is interested ... that one of the big "powersellers" of hacked memory cards ... "Xprodeal" ... was recently banned from Ebay because of the concerted efforts of a few rather angry people banding together to get him kicked off.

BUT !!!

1. Xprodeal gets to KEEP the money he STOLE.
2. He will open another store under a different name. (if he has not already.)
3. There will be no criminal investigation, prosecution or legal sanctions against xprodeal.
4. Ebay and Paypal really donít care. If you have dealt with them u know what i mean. BTW its the same company...

To me this is absolutely absurd !
Old May 5, 2010, 7:07 PM   #24

Operation Fake Flash Storm is increasing pressure on eBay. More buyers are receiving refunds. Removing ebay sellers and having them suspended for selling fake flash memory products requires that you also contact other buyers for your seller and warn them to test.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/