Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Default NEVER buy memory cards on Ebay ! Warning !!!!!

Warning !!!!!!!!!!! Almost all of the memory cards (and flash drives) sold on Ebay are "hacked" cards which have been digitally altered to read false capacity but you wont find out until you try to read the images back from the non existent sectors.

For example ... they take a 2 gig card (very low cost to them) and digitally alter it to read 32 gigs on your computer (high cost to you) ... your PC will read 32 gigs and u can "upload" 32 gigs of information to the card ... but it is not really being written at all !!!!!!!!! ... and when u try to read any data over the real 2 gigs you will get an error in the data transfer.... ... everything over the 2 gigs is lost !!!!!

Read about this huge scam here: http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

And you can use a free program called H2testw 1.4 to verify any flash cards or devices u may have!

Last edited by dancingpotato; Mar 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
dancingpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2

Not every card error is because of a card being hacked to read greater capacity ... but if you bought the card on Ebay ... especially from a seller in China ... and its 16 or 32 GB (or more) it probably is hacked and completely useless.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:22 PM   #3

Default Greed

Greed is such a nasty vice.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:19 PM   #4

Yes I agree Stevie ... and in this case it also causes a lot of grief ... all those lost photos, videos and other data ... some of it absolutely irreplaceable.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:18 PM   #5

Merry Christmas !
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:39 PM   #6

Actually there is a memory card advisory on the ebay help page warning about memory cards hack issue.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:56 PM   #7

Familiar story. The memory card you put in your camera is such a vital part of the photographic process, you should buy only from a known reliable source, preferably brick and mortar. Never trust a web vendor unless you know for sure it is legitimate. Word of mouth on a forum such as this, from people who have successfully used that vendor will usually suffice..Just my two cents...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually there is a memory card advisory on the ebay help page warning about memory cards hack issue.
Shoturtle can you please give me the link to the advisory ... I can't find it ... it must be in there someplace and I just tried for about 10 minutes to track it down ... unfortunately its not on the pages where people bid for the flash memory items ... I do wish Ebay would take a firmer stand on this issue ... but i wont hold my breath.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:04 PM   #9

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001254879
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Thank you for the link Shoturtle but this article you referenced does not address the "hacked" card issue ... it does talk about "counterfeit" cards which are very, very different from "hacked" capacity cards ... and essentially gives hints how to visually recognize a "counterfeit" Sandisk card ...

However a hacked capacity card can only be discovered using software ... either by using a test program ... or much worse ... when you try to download your data from the non-existant sectors ... and it is possible to have a "genuine" memory card which has its capacity digitally altered to read a false higher capacity. Fakes are not necessarily hacked cards ... they are just low cost copies ... and they can have the stated capacity and work quite well.

Also, the article in question is not on the Ebay help page ... it can only be found buried in the section "reviews and guides" and was not written by a member of Ebays staff nor endorsed by Ebay ... it was written by an "amateur" and it refers specifically to counterfeit ... not hacked Sandisk cards ...

I was hoping Ebay actually was doing something about the terrible problem of false capacity memory but I guess money talks louder than ethics ...