Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
... Look at the Sony cameras as an example the A200 and A350 used CF cards. Their replacements use SDHC cards etc.
Sony wanted the new products to be smaller. The easiest way to do that was to switch from CF to SD. Not only are the cards smaller, but the connectors inside the camera are smaller too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:49 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Its just that I've been noticing that all but the top of the top of the top of the top of the line cameras seem to be getting away from using CF cards. Look at the Sony cameras as an example the A200 and A350 used CF cards. Their replacements use SDHC cards etc.
Those aren't "top of the line" cameras. ;-)

The new Sony A850 uses both Memory Stick Pro Duo and CompactFlash (with support for fast UDMA CF cards). Ditto for the A700 and A900.

The new Canon 7D uses CompactFlash (with support for fast UDMA cards), and the just announced 1D Mk IV can use both SDHC and Compactflash cards (with support for the latest Mode 6 UDMA cards).

The new Nikon D300s supports both SDHC and CompactFlash, and the D3s has dual CompactFlash slots (with support for fast UDMA cards). ;-)

SDHC cards are smaller, so that helps to keep camera size and weight down. But, when you get into higher end bodies, it makes sense to take advantage of the latest CompactFlash cards with fast UDMA modes, since you're not usually worried about size/weight as much with them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:56 AM   #13
Administrator

My bad. I missed the "all but" part of the first sentence. :-)

For size/weight purposes, it makes more sense to use smaller cards in smaller bodies (especially since many users moving up from a compact point and shoot to a dSLR may already have SDHC cards).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:47 AM   #14

Back pedle if you will. I understand that video and pics alike take space on memory cards. However, speed is also important. One thing I have not notices is speed of the camera. One sales man advised me to get a Kodak 16GB card for a mega zoom camera. However, he did not say this was a class 4, 6 or whatever. If I buy a class 6 card, and the camera does not have that speed am I just wasting money, or ensuring the camera will have all it needs>
JOEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Administrator

You will find that to be the case with many cameras (i.e., the camera may be the bottleneck versus the speed of the card). So, you may not see any benefit from a faster card with some cameras.

But, Class 6 cards are relatively inexpensive anymore. So, I'd get a faster card whenever possible, even if the camera can't take advantage of it. That way, you'll have faster transfer speeds if using a card reader, and have a faster card you can use later if you upgrade your camera. But, I wouldn't spend a *lot* more for a fast card if you see a big price difference, unless you know that a camera is going to take advantage of the extra speed.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Administrator

For example, here's a Class 6 Transcend SDHC card with a lifetime warranty for $36.49 with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208410

That's only a 2 dollars more than this same vendor is asking for a Class 2 Transcend 16GB SDHC card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208509

So, for an extra couple of bucks, I'd probably get the faster card.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For example, here's a Class 6 Transcend SDHC card with a lifetime warranty for $36.49 with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208410

That's only a 2 dollars more than this same vendor is asking for a Class 2 Transcend 16GB SDHC card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208509

So, for an extra couple of bucks, I'd probably get the faster card.
Jim:

Thanks a lot! I was a bit concerned the saleman from Crutchfield was just simply working on a commission. I simply did not want to have to change cards in the middle of photographing things, Just want to relax and take pics. I'll probably dump them nightly on the computer, but just in case, I'd like a large and fast card to avoid possible dissapointments.
JOEGA is offline   Reply With Quote