Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:18 PM   #1

Default Core Micro SDHC Card Error

I purchased a 16GB SDHC card, made by Core Micro, to use in a brand new Canon FS200 digital video camera. I took a few videos and some stills during the first two weeks or so that I had the camera, and was able to view the videos and images on the camera during that time.

One day I turned the camera on, and got a "Check the Card" message. I am now unable to take anymore videos or images, but my main concern is losing the ones that I have already taken (very important to us!). My computer doesn't recognize the card when I plug it into the card reader. I've tried a local photography store, their computers can't recognize the card either. They tried it in a small image printer, and the still images were viewable on the printer's screen.

I need these videos and image files recovered!!! Any tips?
jimijenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:58 PM   #2

When you insert the card into the card reader, does the computer do anything?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
When you insert the card into the card reader, does the computer do anything?
Nope, the computer doesn't even know that the card is plugged in. I would think the card is damaged beyond recovery if not for the fact that the small Canon printer could read the card.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:42 AM   #4

Some printers with card slots also act as card readers for the computers they're attached to. Might that be the case with the Canon printer that read the card? If it is, then you might be able to get the images and videos off the card through that computer.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Some printers with card slots also act as card readers for the computers they're attached to. Might that be the case with the Canon printer that read the card? If it is, then you might be able to get the images and videos off the card through that computer.
At the time, the printer was not connected to a computer, but I suppose it could be. I'll try it out, thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:29 AM   #6

If nothing else works, you can get 8X10 prints from the images on the card. Then you could scan the prints to get the images onto your computer.

That won't do anything for your videos, however.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
If nothing else works, you can get 8X10 prints from the images on the card. Then you could scan the prints to get the images onto your computer.

That won't do anything for your videos, however.
I took it back to Henry's, and they told me they had tried to hook the printer up to a computer but it wouldn't work.

We contacted the manufacturer, they told us to send it in to them and they would try to recover the files for free, given the important subject of the images and photos (firstborn baby's hospital footage!). Hopefully they're successful!