Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:57 AM   #1

Default Memory Cards for shooting video

Hi,

I recently purchased a canon 7D and will soon be going on a long vacation where I will be shooting a lot of video.
I need to get lots of batteries and memory cards since I will not have power handy every day.

How many cards and what size does anyone recommend me to get?

Thinking of getting 32GB cards, but how many would I need?
I've realized I can't shoot that much on a 4GB card. Only around 12-15min.
So if I got a 32 GB card, I should be able to get around 1.5 to 2 hours of footage. So if I film for around 8-10 hours a day, I would need around 4-5 32 GB cards. Is this correct?
That's for just video though and I will be taking photos as well. Would be a bit stupid if I didn't. =o)

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips about this?

Thankful for any answer.
tinefis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:35 AM   #2

Something else you might want to consider is a portable device to transfer all you images and videos onto. The Epson P-7000 Multimedia Photo Viewer or the Wolverine ESP 5250 Digital Photo Album and Multimedia Player might be a better and cheaper solution.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:23 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Something else you might want to consider is a portable device to transfer all you images and videos onto. The Epson P-7000 Multimedia Photo Viewer or the Wolverine ESP 5250 Digital Photo Album and Multimedia Player might be a better and cheaper solution.
Thanks for the tip mate.[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/723.jpg[/IMG]
mexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:54 PM   #4

One thing to consider is if you can deal with slightly lower quality video you can get a lot more time on your memory cards. On my Olympus camera I can take highest quality video and only get 4 minutes max on a memory card, but when I move down one level I can get 24mins on the same memory card.

As for memory card suggestions I have been having a lot of luck with transcend 133x and sandisk extreme III cards for both video and still shooting.

Also I would look at the devices that TCav suggested. I have been using a wolverine FlashPack7000 series for sometime. I used it on a trip to Baltimore to photograph a fire and rescue convention in 2007 when all I had were 512MB memory cards for my camera. I did have the option to travel with my laptop but was afraid it might get stolen so I went with this device. Two things about this device are that its transfer rate is slightly slower than uploading to a computer and you do have to recharge it up after using for an hour or so (some device last longer......). But in the field it can be a life saver. I would consider the cost of one of these devices vs the cost of getting additional memory cards.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks guys, this is very helpful!

Been looking in to getting the HyperDrive Colorspace UDMA. http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-.../hdcsu-000.htm
Has anyone of you tried that one?

How many cards do you recommend I take with me on a 2 month trip?
I will be backing up the cards x 2 every night when I get back to hotel or camping.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:50 PM   #6

If you'll be backing up your cards every night, all you need is enough cards to get through a single day (plus a spare or two.)

Figure out how many photos you're likely to take in a single day, and multiply that number by the file size (Canon EOS 7D instruction Manual, pg. 59) for images at your selected resolution and quality. That's the total capacity you're likely to need.

Remember that the larger cards are cheaper per gigabyte, but if they fail, they're more expensive to replace. For the 7D I'd stick with 16GB cards, and got enough to handle the amount of storage space I calculated, plus an extra two.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:41 PM   #7

Quote:
If you'll be backing up your cards every night, all you need is enough cards to get through a single day (plus a spare or two.)

Figure out how many photos you're likely to take in a single day, and multiply that number by the file size (Canon EOS 7D instruction Manual, pg. 59) for images at your selected resolution and quality. That's the total capacity you're likely to need.

Remember that the larger cards are cheaper per gigabyte, but if they fail, they're more expensive to replace. For the 7D I'd stick with 16GB cards, and got enough to handle the amount of storage space I calculated, plus an extra two.
Thanks for all the help guys!

I will be shooting mostly video on this trip.
Does anyone know how much video a 16GB card can hold?
Someone told me a 36GB card can take up to 96min of video. The 32-36GB cards are ridiculously expensive though so I might go with a few 16GB cards instead.
Just need to find out how many of them...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:23 PM   #8

According to the Canon EOS 7D Instruction Manual, pg. 157, HD video will take 330MB/minute. That means 3 minutes of video will take a gigabyte. So, yeah, 96 minutes of HD video will fit on a 32GB card. But I doubt that you'll be shooting video continuously for an hour and a half at a stretch, so you will probably be able to swap cards in between video recording sessions.

So 45 minutes of HD video will fit on a 16GB card, as will 2400 Large Fine JPEG images.

Let's look at this from another perspective. Let's say you get a backup device with a capacity of 250GB. Let's say you shoot 30 minutes of video and 800 Large Fine JPEG images on a single 16GB card each day. In 15 days you'll fill the backup device. How long is your vacation?

Last edited by TCav; Nov 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM.