Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Max CF card size and the Nikon D300

What is the largest capacity CF card you've used with your D300? I'm considering a Kingston 32GB 133x card. Wondered if there is a max size my DSLR will recognize.
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:04 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd stick to 32GB or smaller card with a D300. From what I can tell from Rob Galbraith's article about the new 600x Cards from Sandisk, the 64GB cards will not work in the D300, D700, D3 or D3x (although they do work in the newer D300s).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10043-10255
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:26 AM   #3

Ok thanks again JimC!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:49 AM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

Rob has some tests of various cards in the D300 here (although it hasn't been updated since October of last year). He hasn't tested a Kingston 32GB card in one, but I do see a couple of other 32GB Cards in the list (Sandisk 30MB/Second Extreme III, Transcend 133x).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9254
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5

I saw one of the new Sandisc 64GB cards for sale the other day -- on sale it was $699. It would be cheaper to get a lot of 8 and 16GB cards unless you have a reason you need that much in one memory card.

I'd be interested to see if the new sandisc extreme pro 32GB or the 64GB would work in the Sony A700. I know it is listed as working in the A900.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6

Good to know JimC.

No way I'd spend $700 US on a single CF card. 32GB cards are relatively affordable. Depending on the brand anyway.

I don't think I've spent over $200 on a single CF card.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
I'd be interested to see if the new sandisc extreme pro 32GB or the 64GB would work in the Sony A700. I know it is listed as working in the A900.
I've seen A700 users post that the Sandisk Extreme III 32GB works in the A700. So, the newer card would probably work, too.

Now, I have seen a user post that the Kingston 133x 32GB Card does not work in the A900 (even though that camera supports larger cards from other manufacturers). Interestingly, the same user also has an A700 and says the same 32GB Kingston card works with it. But, I've seen compatibility issues with Kingston cards before in Sony dSLR models (Kingston cards are on my avoid list).

If I were going to buy a new 32GB Card and wanted an ultra fast card, I'd probably get a Photofast 533x Plus (making sure to get the Plus version of it). I've seen more than one user report that it works fine in the A900. So, I doubt there would be a problem with it in the A700. It's selling for $249

http://www.dvnation.com/Flash-Media-Cards.html
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Administrator

P.S.

They also have a non plus version of it for $149. But, the standard versus plus 533x versions don't appear to be as fast from what I can see from Rob Galbraith's tests (although they're still very fast cards).
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Photo 5

But, do you really need any more cards? :-)

I'm fine using my 133x Transcend 16GB for everything I shoot. I really don't need anything faster.

It's worked fine in a variety of camera models I've used it in (including my A700, and some of the Nikon models I've used like the D300 and D3).

About the only time I've had any performance issues with it is shooting raw + jpeg for sports (when I've had too many long bursts in a row, causing the cameras to slow down), and even then, it wasn't a big deal. For most shooting, I wouldn't be using long bursts of shots very much. If I were shooting sports a lot more, I'd probably go with a faster card. But, for my normal shooting, I don't need a very fast card.

I've got some faster cards in smaller sizes (including a 266x Transcend). But, I never use them (I just keep them for backup purposes).
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Photo 5

But, do you really need any more cards? :-)

NO I was just looking at post a friend of mine sent to me on the new 32 and 64GB cards over the weekend. It got me to thinking but I wasn't going to buy any more cards.

I am fine with my 2x 8GB sandisc extreme IIIs (that my employer got for me to shoot with) and my transcend 8GB 133x. I had a 16GB 133x transcend that was loaned to me for few months (while the person finished up college education) but I had to give it back. That was a really nice card. The 3x 8GB cards are faster enough and plenty of room.

In the worest case I have ever been in I only shoot through 2 of my 8GB cards in a day.

I'm fine using my 133x Transcend 16GB for everything I shoot. I really don't need anything faster.

It's worked fine in a variety of camera models I've used it in (including my A700, and some of the Nikon models I've used like the D300 and D3).

The transcend card worked in my older Fuji S9100 camera and works in both my A200 and A700.

I've got some faster cards in smaller sizes (including a 266x Transcend). But, I never use them (I just keep them for backup purposes).
I also have for back-up (well these were cards I got along the way between my Fuji S9100 and Sony A200 when I first started using CF cards (I just keep them all -- I still have my 3x 1GB xD cards as well but never use them) a 100x PQI 4GB, a transcend 133x 4GB and a 2GB Ultra II plus the Kingston (no speed marked on it) 2GB card that came with the A200.

Thanks for the reply
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote