Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Premium SDHC for Canon Powershot D10 video?

Hi, I'm buying the wife a waterproof Canon D10 for Christmas. We do lots of water sports and want to film our kids (6 & 10) snorkeling in Cancun.

I'm looking for memory for the D10 and remember reading that you need a very fast SD card to get video to work well.

Sandisk recommends for video either "Extreme" at $195 for 16GB or $119 for 8GB or "ultra" at $97 for 16GB or $53 for eight.

Canon says the D10 will do 1 hr. 35 min. on a 8GB.

I'd like to get her the 16GB of Ulta for $97 but I'll go with the 8GB of extreme for $119.

The thing is I also remember reading that this high speed memory was only fast for offloading to your PC and didn't help camera video performance.

Would the 16GB of Ultra for $97 give the wifey fast trouble free video functions?

Thanks
walkngdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:26 AM   #2

While a fast card does allow you to transfer images and videos to the computer faster than a slower card would, that's not the only advantage to a fast card. The faster cards allow you to record video streams that are uninterrupted. Slower cards will cause the camera to pause occasionally while it saves video to the card, causing breakes in the video stream.

Any Class 6 SDHC card will be fast enough to support uninterrupted video. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card..._Class_Ratings for info on Speed Classes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:09 AM   #3

I bought a Transcend Class 6 sdhc card with 8 GB of memory from NEWEGG.
Very fast transfers and I'm satisfied, the price IS $19 SHIPPED . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

The prices you have listed are way too high, a total waste of money.

Last edited by NewSD780IS; Dec 2, 2009 at 6:14 AM.
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4

Wow, thanks for the great advice guys. I think I'll get the Transcend 16GB Class 6 for $38 here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208410

and that saves me about $60

walkngdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkngdude View Post
Wow, thanks for the great advice guys. I think I'll get the Transcend 16GB Class 6 for $38 here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208410

and that saves me about $60

NP, cameras are fairly new to me. But for "saving a buck" and getting a good deal on things I'm a bit better.

NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:20 PM   #6

transcends are very good cards. I have an 8GB 133x soeed Compact flasgh card that was work horse for me in my older Fuji S9100 camera. abut 30,000 frames and never an issue. I know use an 8GB sandisc extreme III card in Sony a700 D-SLR camera. Both work well for me..... but the transcend is cheaper....

newegg.com has the best prices on memory cards I have seen. Whatever you do stay away from ebay for buying cards as most of those are fakes.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote