Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:25 PM   #1

Default Memory Card For Canon T1i

Looking for a good brand of SD card for the above camera. Do I need to buy a class 6 card? Probably will not shoot much video but umm...... will use the continuous shooting mode for sports.

Thank u 4 your help and suggestions.
norma
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:36 PM   #2

For continuous shooting, get the fastest card you can. Continuous shooting can be more demanding on a flash memory card than shooting video, especially with a 15MP image sensor.

I've tried a number of different brands, and have been most satisfied with SanDisk and Lexar, and less satisfied with Kingston. Many here have been pleased with Transcend, but I've never tried theirs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:39 PM   #3

If you are shooting long burst rates, I would go for a class 10 card from Sandisk, but they are quite expensive. If you are not going to burst no more then 2 or 3 seconds, I have a Sandisk UltraII class 4 that works find. For longer burst I put in a delkin class 6, it allow me to burst to about 5 sec before the buffer lag hits at largest Jpeg format. But If I shot Raw, I would go with the Sandisk ExtremeIII class 10.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:56 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I think Sandisk is the safest choice. I have never had a problem with the many Ultra II and Extreme III's I have used. For sports, pick at least the Extreme III, the new Extreme IV is faster, but not sure if needed.

I have also had good results with Kingston, and actually had a bad experience with Lexar.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:54 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I use Sandisk for all my cameras and they are all Extreme IIIs. I have a Ti1 and use 8Gb cards. In my 5D mkII and 1D mkIII I use 16 or 4 Gb CF and the 8 Gb SDs in the mkIII as well. I have never had a problem with any of the cards in any of the cameras so will never go for a lesser option.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:52 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies!! Almost always have bought Sandisk cards for a bridge and p and s cameras-no problems. Although I have no idea of the speed of those cards.

My camera is coming tomorrow sometime between 8am and 7pm-thanks for narrowing down the time UPS-lol. Have to sign for it so won't be able to get out till Tuesday.

TA,
norma
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:37 AM   #7

Chopper123

The speed class of sdhc tell you the min read/write speed, on a class 4 it gives you at least 4mb/sec write and 4mnb/sec read, class 6 is 6mb/sec write and 6mb/sec read. But the Sandisk and Delkin chips are generally are faster, promising a combine 15mb on the UltraII class 4 with a faster read speed normally.

You will not go wrong with Sandisk, both the Ultra II line and Extreme III and IV are excellent chips. The extreme do get pricey.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I use Sandisk for all my cameras and they are all Extreme IIIs. I have a Ti1 and use 8Gb cards. In my 5D mkII and 1D mkIII I use 16 or 4 Gb CF and the 8 Gb SDs in the mkIII as well. I have never had a problem with any of the cards in any of the cameras so will never go for a lesser option.
I use compact flash cards..... Ditto never had an issue with either of my 2x 8GB Sandisk Extreme III or my 2GB Sandisc Ultra II. The Extreme III is able to keep up with the buffer of my Sony bodies and never stops shooting till I shop pressing the button or I fill up the card. I have also had great luck with Transcend cards 133x speed 4GB and 8GB (I even used a borrowed 16GB for a couple of weeks).

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:50 PM   #9

CF are less compress then sdhc and are faster, apples to oranges. I wish CF was an option on the T1i
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
CF are less compress then sdhc and are faster, apples to oranges.
Actually, the performance and price of CF and SD cars are comparable. There's no clear reason to prefer one over the other except for the physical size.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote