Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:41 PM   #11

Vlc is my default media player for years... best one out there

My camera normally saves in mp4.
sdhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:42 PM   #12
Administrator

I'd try renaming the .mov files to .mp4 and see what you get. If that doesn't fly, I'd try the latest Photorec 6.12 beta (you'll see it on the download page). If that doesn't fly, I'd contact the author and explain your problem and see if you can send him a sample file that works so he'll know what to look for. That would also help others running into the same issue if he can get your camera's specific file format where it's recognized properly by Photorec.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Support
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:57 PM   #13

I just used phto rec but i get exactly the same as before.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:00 PM   #14
Administrator

I'd contact Christophe GRENIER (the author of Photorec), explain your issue, and send him a sample file to work with if he needs one. That way, you'd be helping both yourself and others that may run into the same problem.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Support
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:04 PM   #15

Will try 6.12 beta and see what happens failing that il contact the guy at photorec and maybe a camera company like kodac or fujifilm who make my camera.

Thnx for your suggestions. Have managed to take screenshots of alot of the video so if not possible to recover i have some pics as mementos.

Rk
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:08 PM   #16

Do u know of any free video conversion programs for corrupted or deleted mov files? Renaming did nothing.

I will not be beaten!!! haha
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:18 PM   #17
Administrator

If VLC can't play them, something is probably going wrong in the recovery process.

Again, I'd just contact Christophe GRENIER via e-mail and explain your problem along with the brand/model of camera that created the files. You never know, he may already have a solution that he can't include in the published version because it would conflict with the way he recovers files with the same extension from other camera models.

If not, you could send him a good file to work with that you already have from your camera so he can change the program to recognize it properly. That's what he does to improve it. But, if you don't send him a sample to work with, then it won't get fixed so that they're recognized properly. ;-)

Again, that would also help out other users that may have the same issues recovering files from your camera type. Chances are, he'd modify it quickly and send you a link to an updated version of the program to test to see if it works OK. If so, he'd probably include the change in the next beta so that others would benefit, too.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:41 PM   #18

Im dropping him an email now. Hope he can help.

Thanks for all of yours.

Rk
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:45 PM   #19
Administrator

I'm sure he'd be willing to help out.

Here are a couple of free programs you may want to try, just in case the audio is embedded and they're playable or convertable:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

http://ffmpeg.org/index.html

But, if VLC can't handle them, I doubt others will be able to either, and I'd still send the author of Photorec an e-mail so he can make changes so that it recognizes your files OK (helping out others in the process).

It's nice when someone dedicates their time to produce free software capable of helping out others with problems. So, I'd try to do the same favor by helping him improve the program so that you and others can benefit from the improvements. If you're running into this issue, others probably are, too.

Just out of curiosity, what brand/camera model are you using?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:48 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Just out of curiosity, what brand/camera model are you using?
Note that if it's one we've reviewed here, we may already have a video in it's samples that you could send him a link to. ;-)

That way, he could download it and have a file to work with to make sure photorec can detect and recover one from your camera type OK.