Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:59 PM   #31
Administrator

Hey whitespike

I noticed where VTphotog suggested this Sticky Thread about it in your other post here earlier. So, I'm glad you were able to get them back.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:20 PM   #32

Now back them up to a DVD or DVDs. I also off load my images and videos after shooting them (at least once a day)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:25 AM   #33

Default corrupted files on memory stick

Hi,
2 video .mov sequences (766 and 312 Mo) were taken with a Panasonic DMC FZ18 digital camera. They were shown once to someone, on the camera viewer, successfully. A few minutes later, they were replaced by a black screen, and haven't been viewed since. They were transferred from a memory stick to my Mac book pro, but I haven't been able to open them, even with VLC. I have also tried transferring them to a PC and converting them to.avi with Format Factory. All to no avail. Can you suggest a solution ? Many thanks.
anchorpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:36 PM   #34
Administrator

Hey anchorpoints:

I noticed you viewing this earlier today looking to see if anyone responded. Sorry, I missed your post asking about your problem until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorpoints View Post
Hi,
2 video .mov sequences (766 and 312 Mo) were taken with a Panasonic DMC FZ18 digital camera. They were shown once to someone, on the camera viewer, successfully. A few minutes later, they were replaced by a black screen, and haven't been viewed since.
Do you mean that they were no longer playable on the camera at that point?

If so, then the file system on the card is probably corrupted and you'll need to use recovery software to copy them from the card. See the first post in this thread about using photorec for that purpose.

Quote:
They were transferred from a memory stick to my Mac book pro, but I haven't been able to open them, even with VLC.
Again, if they were no longer viewable/playable on the camera, then you probably didn't get a good copy of the images, even if they appeared to copy OK, because the FAT (File Allocation Table) is probably corrupted or damaged and you're not getting all of the correct "pieces" that make up the video files.

You'll need to use recovery software that's designed to ignore the underlying file system to copy them from the card if the file system is corrupted on it (which is likely if the camera could no longer play them). Try photorec using the whole disk option, as described in this thread's first post:

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:25 AM   #35

Default corrupted files on memory stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Do you mean that they were no longer playable on the camera at that point?
That's right, the 2 files were no longer playable on the camera viewer-screen after the latter went black.

However, the Memory stick I've been working on with my Mac may not be the one originally used in the camera, but a copy : does this make any difference ?

I have tried to recover my 2 files with PhotoRec, but I’m not sure I’m doing it right…I chose the defaults, except for ‘whole partition’, PFAT32 : ‘Brute force enabled’, and ‘Keep corrupted files’. The result is that I recover a total of 43 .mov files (out of a total of 169 files of various types), whereas when I simply place the memory stick in the slot on my Mac I get just 9 .mov files. The 2 files I’m interested in seem to be there after the PhotoRec operation, but appear as ‘f0484752.apple’ 838,7 Mo (instead of the original P1210284.mov, 766,8 Mo), and ‘b0015272.mov’ 240,5 Mo (instead of P1210285.mov, 312,3 Mo). I can open neither of them with VLC.

What do you think ? Assuming the 2 files are corrupted, is it possible to repair them ? What does the .apple file signify ? Is there any hope of using an .apple file ?

I am very keen to recover the 2 files if possible. Should the fact that they both have substantial Mo content allow me some hope, or is this just an illusion ? I would be prepared to pay for recovering them, so can you recommend software that will do the job, or even a firm that will do it on a ‘no success, money back’, basis) ?

Many thanks again for your help.

Last edited by anchorpoints; Apr 29, 2012 at 5:44 AM. Reason: forgot .mov,
anchorpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:15 AM   #36
Administrator

You need to recover them from the original card used to take the photos, not a copy of it, unless the copy was made using very specialized software designed to make a sector by sector (a.k.a., block by clock) copy without using the file system.

Sorry... your copy is probably no good for recovering the images from, since a normal copy of the files would have copied them using the FAT (File Allocation) table to determine the locations of the clusters (plural, since each of those video files is composed of more than one cluster) that make up each file on the card, and if the file system was corrupted (and your symptoms indicate that it probably was) you'd have zero chance of getting back any missing pieces of the files from a typical copy. Basically, the FAT acts as an index that tells the Operating System what clusters a file is composed of. So, if you copy a file using a FAT that doesn't accurately reflect all of the cluster locations, then you don't get a good copy (clusters that were not listed in the original FAT for a file would not have been copied).

Photorec tries to determine the clusters that make up a file without using the FAT as a guide to recover images from a corrupted file system. But, you need to use it on the original media, not a copy of it, unless that copy was made by specialized utilities that can make an exact block by block copy without regards to the file system being used.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:27 AM   #37
Banned

To recover data or animations and multimedia files need recovery software. There are various types of recovery software and applications which create good of recover data and files. It need perfect communications too which make different imaginations.
douglaswalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:21 PM   #38

Default Lost .MOV files from a Canon EOS 60D (SD card)

I live in Brazil, and I need to restore about 35 GB of .MOV files that have been lost on a 64GB SD card, accidentally formatted in a Canon EOS 60D.
They are HD videos from a wedding party!
I've been using PhotoRec for years, but every time I deal with videos, especially with newer versions of digital cameras, I find a new challenge.
This time PhotoRec recovered around 270 .MOV files, not directly playable through any known player, like VLC, KMP, MPClassic, or even QuickTime.
After a repair operation through Grau GbR's HD Video Repair Utility, I am able to play the video. Unfortunately, I am unable to buy this expensive software, and the demo stores half the size of each repaired file.
So, it would be very nice if PhotoRec could do this job without further rework.
I am using PhotoRec version 6.14, on a Windows-based PC.
Thank you for any guidance!

Best regards,
Max.

Last edited by Smartx21; Jun 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM.
Smartx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:37 PM   #39
Administrator

You could contact the author of Photorec and explain your issue.

He may want you to send him a sample file to work with if he doesn't have a solution for it already Scroll down to the Problems section at the bottom this page and you'll see a link to contact him:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You could contact the author of Photorec and explain your issue.

He may want you to send him a sample file to work with if he doesn't have a solution for it already Scroll down to the Problems section at the bottom this page and you'll see a link to contact him:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Thank you, I have just done it!
Any other suggestion or link to further searching?
I wonder if it would be possible to unformat the card. If so, no need to repair recovered files!
[Max]

Last edited by Smartx21; Jun 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM.
Smartx21 is offline   Reply With Quote