Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:53 PM   #11

Do not get cards from ebay, there are allot of fakes and hacked cards there. There was a recent thread here that warn about hack cards on ebay and I posted that people form the ebay community warning of the problem.

I recommend if you get a card online, get it from a good shop like adorama, amazon or bhphotos.

No you do not need to format every time you reuse the card. But it is better, as it will let the card run at its peak. If you take allot of action shots, a class 10 card is the way to go, it will let you use the very long burst rates of over 5 seconds with very little slow down, as the buffer will not get overloaded waiting for the card to write.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12

Here is the link to the ebay warning thread on this board.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...y-warning.html
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:33 PM   #13

Is there a problem with the cameras as well from eBay? I am about to buy the camera and I have seen it anywhere from $10.00- almost $100.00 cheaper than say B & H?
ken21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:41 PM   #14

Not sure about the cameras, I've seen new ones that is like 10 buck cheaper then bh but it comes out to the same with shipping. Not sure if the warranty is intact from canon or weather it is brand new or an open box item? To me that 10 dollar is worth the piece of mind.

Not really sure about the ones 100 dollars cheaper, sound to good to be true, it most likely is. Could be open box, could be refurbished, and be used.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:10 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken21212 View Post
Is there a problem with the cameras as well from eBay? I am about to buy the camera and I have seen it anywhere from $10.00- almost $100.00 cheaper than say B & H?
A lot of times you'll see Ebay vendors selling gray market cameras (not intended for sale in the country you live in), sometimes coming with non English manuals, the wrong power cables for chargers, etc.

Note that you need to be very careful buying Nikon gear if you're not familiar with the vendor. Stick with an authorized (and reputable vendor) that offers a Nikon USA warranty with the product. Be careful as to how it's worded in the listings. MOST great deals you find for Nikon models are gray market cameras, and the sellers will often use misleading statements about the warranties (1 year USA warranty that's a store warranty versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty, etc).

There are a lot of "gray market" cameras being sold now (not intended for sale in the country you live in). Nikon USA will usually refuse to service these, even if you are willing to pay for the service. So, unless you know that the camera was originally intended for sale in the U.S., you could risk getting a camera that would be difficult to get serviced.

Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Some of the other Nikon distributors (for example, Nikon Canada) have the same policy. They will not service it, period. They will know if a camera is intended for sale in the country you live in by it's serial number.

I am aware of one popular Ebay vendor (Cameta Camera) that is an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer, selling Nikon gear intended for sale in the U.S. They're a reputable vendor. But, I'd make sure to check if going with another one. You can find a link to a .pdf file with a list of authorized Nikon USA Dealers on this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/WhereToBuy.page

You could also run into similar service issues with other camera brands (where they may refuse to service a camera unless you send it back to Japan, etc.), although that kind of thing is more common with Nikon gear.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:16 PM   #16

I have just been using a regular standard speed 2gb Kingston SD card and to be honest I can max out the buffer's and take the 3.4 fps. I only have trouble with video, but haven't tested it very much yet.
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyBird View Post
I have just been using a regular standard speed 2gb Kingston SD card and to be honest I can max out the buffer's and take the 3.4 fps. I only have trouble with video, but haven't tested it very much yet.
a 12 min video will eat up 4gb. So if you are planning to take a bunch of short video. Say 3 min, you can only get 4 video on a 4gb card.